• No (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IE Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g display tank that turns 1 year old in May and has a medium sized hair algae problem. After some research I found out that lawnmower, tail spot, starry, etc. blennies are perfect for my situation. Now here is my question, I have 1x Yellow Watchman Goby, 1x Carmel Clown, and 3x Green Chromis; I understand that they are peaceful to all tank inhabitants unless they are of the same species and/or a fish that looks similar to them, and I really don't want my YWG to get beaten up or worse turn out dead because of this guy. So, should I get one or should I take the hair algae problem a different way?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g display tank that turns 1 year old in May and has a medium sized hair algae problem. After some research I found out that lawnmower, tail spot, starry, etc. blennies are perfect for my situation. Now here is my question, I have 1x Yellow Watchman Goby, 1x Carmel Clown, and 3x Green Chromis; I understand that they are peaceful to all tank inhabitants unless they are of the same species and/or a fish that looks similar to them, and I really don't want my YWG to get beaten up or worse turn out dead because of this guy. So, should I get one or should I take the hair algae problem a different way?
Lawnmower and Starry blennies get pretty big, but the Tail Spot Blenny is half their size and extremely peaceful. They're basically like pacifist Buddhist monks ime.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Lawnmower and Starry Blennies really need at least a 40B. Midas need at least a 50 as they are larger and relatively active for a blenny. However, a Tail Spot, Bicolor, any of the smaller Ecsenius blennies, maybe even a Captive Bred Fang Blenny would work.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will note that if your goal is solely algae control, snails usually work better. I would still get the TSB though bc they're amazing fish imo.

Last edited:

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an algae blenny (lawnmower) and it turned aggresive toward my yellow watchman goby.
Goby lost all the fights and got beaten up pretty badly.

If algae control is your goal, as people said already, I would go for snails in large quantities (get many smaller ones rather than few big ones).

I can recommend a Pictus blenny though. He will pick at algae as well, but do not expect him to keep algae under control.
IT's a tiny fish, full of character, I had NEVER seen it show any signs of aggresion.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the 3 blennies ive purchased developed a taste for sps coral so be cautious....

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If algae control is your goal, as people said already, I would go for snails in large quantities (get many smaller ones rather than few big ones).

If you're looking for help with an invert CUC, check out Reef Cleaners. John will put a custom package together based on your requirements. He has been very responsive to all the questions I had. I'm getting my second shipment from him tomorrow.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only combtooth blennies eat algae so a fanged blenny or barnacle blenny will not help with algae. Yes the bigger combtooth blennies will indeed get aggressive toward a fish like a YWG. The smaller tailspot or bicolor should be ok and blennies have such wonderful personalities. However for algae control only I would look to some sort of invert cuc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Twin spot great color, diet and an algae eater

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back