Should I get a pistol shrimp?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, So I have a very new set up, 3 months old. It is 90 G. I have a 3" Naso (i know he will need to be rehomed as he grows) a foxface ( also will outgrow my tank) 2 clowns, a diamond goby, a cleaner shrimp, and several snails. I am going for a peaceful community/reef tank. So, my question is, I also have a small yellow watchman goby, and I would love to get him a pistol shrimp. But I know nothing about them. Should I get one with my set up, or should I avoid one?

elryry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pistol shrimp, especially for its relationship with its watchman goby buddy.

The one issue I’ve had is my shrimp is extremely type A. They are terraforming the sand bed constantly, so I need to keep an eye on corals being buried, etc.

Oh also if you get one, get used to the sound of their claw making you think your glass just shattered :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pistol shrimp, especially for its relationship with its watchman goby buddy.

The one issue I’ve had is my shrimp is extremely type A. They are terraforming the sand bed constantly, so I need to keep an eye on corals being buried, etc.
I guess, since I don't know anything about them, my concern is it's ability to kill other tank mates simply by snapping its claw and shooting a water jet at them. How common is this sort of thing? I really want to get one, but not at the expense of any other tank inhabitants. I think my little yellow bogy would surely benefit from it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my concern is it's ability to kill other tank mates simply by snapping its claw and shooting a water jet at them. How common is this sort of thing?
Despite their reputation, it's not common; pistol shrimp often get the blame for things like dead fish or inverts by hobbyists, but they're extremely unlikely to be the culprit (disease and aggression from other fish are much, much more likely culprits):
As stated, these guys really aren't the vicious hunters they're made out to be.

They're actually omnivores (see the quote below), and the tiger pistol (Alpehus bellulus) is one of two species so far (Alpheus randalli being the other - see the link in the quote below) that has been confirmed to feed on its goby partner's feces,* so adding a goby may very well help on the off-chance that your shrimp actually is being aggressive:
A quick note here on pistol shrimp diet - pistol shrimp do not seem to be predatory, rather they seem to be more opportunistic, omnivorous scavengers (the only "hunting" that seems to take place outside of the burrow is done by the gobies, not the shrimp, and - to my knowledge - no one has ever confirmed if the shrimp actually eat the "prey" brought to them by the gobies; it might be that the goby eats them rather than the shrimp, or the shrimp might eat them as people generally assume):
Some more info from the article linked in the quote above:

"Diet analyses of shrimp associates indicate copepods, interstitial matter, and seagrass as main food items. Incidental observations revealed a more varied diet, facilitated by goby associates. Cryptocentrus cinctus and C. singapurensis [= C. leptocephalus] were previously reported to introduce items such as algae and bivalves into burrows for associate shrimps. We observed the goby, Amblyeleotris latifasciata, capturing a small crab near the burrow entrance and carrying this prey item toward the burrow entrance. Upon arrival, it rapidly moved up and down, a characteristic behavior we can best describe as ‘jumping’. The shrimp emerged from the burrow and proceeded to remove the entire prey item from the mouth of the goby, without resistance or struggle from the latter, before retreating into the burrow (Fig. 1)."

Additionally, as noted in the article linked above, at least some Alpheus spp. clean their gobies by eating the parasites off of them.

*Source:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do cut and collect macoalgae and seagrass on occasion though:
Pistol shrimp are known to gather and eat macroalgae and seagrasses on occasion - the OP on the thread below caught their pistol doing this on video:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the pistol shrimp camp! I kept a pair of tiger pistols for almost 4 years, no harm done other than the constant digging and tunneling and sometimes moving/burying of frags in the sandbed.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - definitely get a postal shrimp. Pair the Watchman goby with a Tiger Pistol. Those two match each other well, both in temperament and and physical size.

The only concern would be the aqua scape. Tiger Pistol shrimp can really move some sand and rocks. they are generally pretty good engineers, but if you have rockwork stacked and just sitting on top of the sand bead, it will likely get shifted.

An active pistol shrimp will also help to keep the sandbed healthy, by working it on a regular basis. As such, be prepared for the occasional sand storm - A small price to pay for the benefits of having one

billygalaxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get one - they are a fascinating tank inhabitant. I had one in my old tank and plan on adding one to my new tank as well.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - definitely get a postal shrimp. Pair the Watchman goby with a Tiger Pistol. Those two match each other well, both in temperament and and physical size.

The only concern would be the aqua scape. Tiger Pistol shrimp can really move some sand and rocks. they are generally pretty good engineers, but if you have rockwork stacked and just sitting on top of the sand bead, it will likely get shifted.

An active pistol shrimp will also help to keep the sandbed healthy, by working it on a regular basis. As such, be prepared for the occasional sand storm - A small price to pay for the benefits of having one

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all sounds great to me. I do have rock work stacked, but, I did put my rocks in before any sand. Therefore it is sitting flat on the bottom glass, and built up from there. Okay you helped my decision, I am going to look for one. Thank you.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all sounds great to me. I do have rock work stacked, but, I did put my rocks in before any sand. Therefore it is sitting flat on the bottom glass, and built up from there. Okay you helped my decision, I am going to look for one. Thank you.
Me too! I also have a watchman goby.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman and pistol shrimp never/haven’t paired. They live about 12” from each other haha ‍Been over a year now. I still like them both

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay, just one more question about the pistol shrimp. Would he in any way be a threat to my cleaner shrimp or any of my snails?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, just one more question about the pistol shrimp. Would he in any way be a threat to my cleaner shrimp or any of my snails?
Ive never seen any issue with that.

But, my experience with pistol shrimp is with only two individuals. The first I had for about 5 or 6 years, and the current one I have, I have had for at least 5 years.

in that time, I have had cleaner shrimp and many snails, hermits and other inverts. The pistol will occasionally snap at a passing hermit or snail, but never seen it particularly aggressive toward anything.

Of course, anything is possible, but I think not very likely to cause issued with other creatures the the tank..

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby will be much happier with the shrimp, and my two have never hurt any of their tankmates. The pistol sheimps I have are actually easily scared by pretty much anything that moves!

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pistol shrimp for 8 years now and he has never went after my cleaner shrimp or snails.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely. Though I will say that my YWG drags small snails and hermits into his lair anytime they scoot by the entrance. I really don't think the tiger pistol is interested because they always crawl right back out.

Between the two of them, they will most certainly move a LOT of sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back