Should I get a Royal Gramma or a Orchid Dottyback?

Which should I get Royal Gramma or Orchid Dottyback?

• Royal Gramma

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • Orchid Dottyback

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank and have to make one of the hardest decisions ever. I need to pick which fish I want more a Royal Gramma or a Orchid Dottyback. I like both fish equally and love / hate certain characteristics from both fish. Which do you think I should get either way I think both fish are stunning.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas stick to caves/rockwork more, whereas P. fridmani is (based on my reading) a little more aggressive and is more of a swimmer. I have had grammas before, and one is about to get out of quarantine - I went with another gramma since I have a very shy pink streaked wrasse, but otherwise I'd have gone with the P. fridmani. Make sure you don't get P. porphyreus (? spelling), which is 1) not as cool as P. fridmani, and 2) more of a jerk (aggression). Enjoy!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an orchid, idk if mine is abnormally shy, but it hangs near this little cave zone in the tank almost entirely. i definitely wouldn't call him an open swimmer, which is a bummer because it's a very pretty purple

i've had both and the gramma was cool when it was out and about, then i did a tank switch and it just hid and eventually died. i didn't qt so not really fair to the fish, but i had tried two and both died so i deemed them not very hardy and went the orchid route.

also worth mentioning, i do feel like the orchid is mostly peaceful, it is willing to be a jerk to new fish, especially ones that want to hang out near rocks. it kinda limits you if you want to do more rock oriented type fish in a smallerish tank. mine is a 24x24 cube so if yours is bigger you could do both, just do the gramma first. and from what i've read grammas can go with other basslets (except the closely related blackcap) so that's cool

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas are a little more outgoing, a little more peaceful, and more brightly colored.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a orchid that was a total jerk (yes - I confirmed that it was an orchid not the other evil dottybacks [emoji28]).

It really hated wrasses and picked on most of my other fish. I had to sell him to someone else who had a tank with meaner fish and he was fine there.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fish that's similar to consider would be a Black Cap Basslet. They are similar to the gramma in behavior but seem to get a little larger to me. I would prefer either of those over the dotty back.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the other fish in your 55g. I had an purple dottyback (not an orchid) w fish it’s own size and he was such a jerk that I’m terrified of ever getting another dottyback ever again. He was incredibly intelligent, had a personality, and was my favourite fish. We literally used to play peekaboo. He watched me as much as I watched him. He eventually died in a freak cleaning accident. I miss that little monster.

Royal grammas on the other hand have been awesome fish to have. I had 2 at different times and both were great. Active swimmers. Had their own little patch that they guarded and gave plenty of warning before biting an intruder.

View Badges
Another fish that's similar to consider would be a Black Cap Basslet. They are similar to the gramma in behavior but seem to get a little larger to me. I would prefer either of those over the dotty back.
I agree with saltyhog. I have a black cap and its a very nice fish. I never had a Gramma. I see them everywhere. The Black Cap seems you see a bit less around here anyway. And it is a sweet looking fish!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma. Every dottyback I’ve ever had (except my sunrise) has been a bully. Sunrise is pretty and more peaceful but not as pretty IMO.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma less aggressive, IMO I like the orchid's temperament better, but I've never had any of the nasty ones we occasionally hear about here.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have at least one of these three in my tank.

My favorite is the black cap then the orchid and lastly the royal gramma.

All three are great fish, you cant go wrong!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have at least one of these three in my tank.

My favorite is the black cap then the orchid and lastly the royal gramma.

All three are great fish, you cant go wrong!

Good point - you really can't go wrong with any of the 3, although I like the orchid and royal gramma best ;-)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Royal Gramma or Black Cap Basslet (which would give a very similar look to the Orchid Dottyback). If someone has to have a Dottyback then I recommend the Orchid, but in all other cases I recommend Basslets over Dottybacks.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Orchid Dottyback is a model citizen compared to the Royal Gramma that I had a few years ago.
Also. you can get Orchid Dottybacks captive bred instead of pulled from the ocean.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both fish and have had both. Currently I have a captive bred orchid that’s pretty docile but lurks in the caves mostly. Can’t go wrong with either but I think the royal gramma little more outgoing.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol my gramma is ALL bark and zero bite. my 2 spot goby can and does swim right up to his face when he makes his open mouth threat and the gramma still won't do jack.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my 75g for about two years they stay out of each other’s way, the gramma is very shy I sometimes forget I have him the orchid is a bit more aggressive specially with new additions smaller or similar to him, I also have a purple firefish which is the only fish my dottyback bothers he’s been in the tank about 3 years the aggression is not that bad

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Orchid Dottyback is a model citizen compared to the Royal Gramma that I had a few years ago.
Also. you can get Orchid Dottybacks captive bred instead of pulled from the ocean.
+1 make sure you get a wild one, the captive bred ones look so bad compared to the wilds.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back