Should I get it!!! 96x30x24 300g

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I knew as I'm building my 80g system and knowing myself that I wouldn't be satisfied with it long termespecially leaving the hobby 11 years ago with a 700g system. Bought all the nice premium gear and was like man this isn't big enough lol. The space I am putting the 80g system can accommodate at least a 6' wide tank. So I figured let's check offer up and found this and quickly brought back memories. However it is 96x30x24 so darn won't fit in the house but...... hmmmm I do have a 1600 sq ft garage that only my wife park the car in. So thinking long term I was like that would look nice in the garage aka man cave and maybe future fish room. Ad is asking $1800 for the tank. What do you guys think?

Screenshot_20201202-185858_OfferUp.jpg Screenshot_20201202-185853_OfferUp.jpg

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see it in person? I would examine for scratches up close. Great size tank though!
Yeah I'm gonna go check it out in person this weekend. The guy doesn't know if it's starfire glass or not and I prefer starfire over the traditional green tint glass.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect size tank IMHO.

BUT.....you better check with the wife I am sure she's not goona be as excited as you are. just saying man. you better work on your story. I don't think women quite understand why men need man caves .

that looks like a glass cages tank. I could be wrong tho if its scratched up and not low iron give @joe@glasscages a Pm they have been making some really nice tank. I have been talking to him about the same size tank or there 10' 340 !

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect size tank IMHO.

BUT.....you better check with the wife I am sure she's not goona be as excited as you are. just saying man. you better work on your story. I don't think women quite understand why men need man caves .

that looks like a glass cages tank. I could be wrong tho if its scratched up and not low iron give @joe@glasscages a Pm they have been making some really nice tank. I have been talking to him about the same size tank or there 10' 340 !

perfect size tank IMHO.

MY wife is used to my surprises. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness then permission haha. Besides she was the one that bugged me to set up the 30g cube and I told her that will start the itch lol. So I got a 66g sca to build out and after much thought. I figured I might as well start planning the mega system for the man cave as well. My garage/shop is 45'x35' When we bought our second home. I did mention to her I want a mega system again one day and well that day is itching it's way lol. I know this may be a stretch but danm I can picture a 16'x3'x2' peninsula. Hmmmmm wonder what the logistics of something like that would be.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to admire it when it’s in the garage...
True but the biggest I can put in my house in the place I have is a 60"x30". But......There is our foyer where my wife has this dumb table. About 12' wide there. Right behind it is our garage. Maybe a built in through there. Just gotta convince her lol. Hmmmmmm

Attachments

• 20201202_220512.jpg
    20201202_220512.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 29

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY wife is used to my surprises. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness then permission haha. Besides she was the one that bugged me to set up the 30g cube and I told her that will start the itch lol. So I got a 66g sca to build out and after much thought. I figured I might as well start planning the mega system for the man cave as well. My garage/shop is 45'x35' When we bought our second home. I did mention to her I want a mega system again one day and well that day is itching it's way lol. I know this may be a stretch but danm I can picture a 16'x3'x2' peninsula. Hmmmmm wonder what the logistics of something like that would be.

peninsula's are the way to go. if your gonna do it. do it right from the get go. stay with what you have and plan the man cave for the next year...

or get the tank in question and use it for the sump for the mega build?

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but the biggest I can put in my house in the place I have is a 60"x30". But......There is our foyer where my wife has this dumb table. About 12' wide there. Right behind it is our garage. Maybe a built in through there. Just gotta convince her lol. Hmmmmmm
Now you’re taking...

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peninsula's are the way to go. if your gonna do it. do it right from the get go. stay with what you have and plan the man cave for the next year...

or get the tank in question and use it for the sump for the mega build?
I told myself after the 700g build out 13 years ago that the next big system will be a Penninsula most likely. Be nice to aquascape with all 3 viewing sides in mind and can go wider because I can work from both long sides.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Send her on a trip and surprise her when she gets back.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you’re taking...
It would take a lot more convincing to tear down the wall and reframe running power and such. Honestly would rather spend the cost on remodeling around the system on gear and or stock haha. Going into the garage is much easier to convince since there would be little demo.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take a lot more convincing to tear down the wall and reframe running power and such. Honestly would rather spend the cost on remodeling around the system on gear and or stock haha. Going into the garage is much easier to convince since there would be little demo.
Can you put it in the garage in a place that would allow you to break thru and reframe that wall eventually. Giving you an “in-wall” from the house and normal gram the garage...

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put it in the garage in a place that would allow you to break thru and reframe that wall eventually. Giving you an “in-wall” from the house and normal gram the garage...
Yes I posted a pic of the foyer. That is my other thought. Garage is right behind it. My 700g sysyem at my old house. I had the 300g display in my office and plumbed under my house into the garage where I had my sump, fuge, clam tank, frag tanks and the normal water changing stuff. So kind of the same build almost if I do the in wall through from garage through foyer.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The buy on the tank is nice, but be careful about a big tank in the garage. I have a not-so-big 4' 90-gal in my basement garage, and even though I spend a lot of time down there, it really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Proximity to your inside main DT is important. Think about water changes, ambient temperature changes, evaporation and the humidity generated in your garage etc. Things can be very different in a garage. Do you spray paint projects there, create wood dust? There's a lot to think about.

I have found my garage tank is best used as a "utility tank" where I experiment with new equipment, try new aquascapes and best of all, don't care if I make a mess on the floor. But man!!!, that's a big tank to maintain in a garage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back