Should I get live rock

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so Ive had a tank for two years that still can't even keep corals alive so what I think the problem is I started the tank with dry rock and not live.
Does anyone else think this could be the problem

Yes I keep the parameters good
Yes I have good flow
Yes Ive checked the par

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Ive had a tank for two years that still can't even keep corals alive so what I think the problem is I started the tank with dry rock and not live.
Does anyone else think this could be the problem

Yes I keep the parameters good
Yes I have good flow
Yes Ive checked the par
No I do not think so. A lot of people start their tanks with dry rock and had success, so that seems to rule that out. I myself started with dry rock, and I have coral growing and spreading across it.

What type of coral did you try to keep that did not work?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks provide a biofilter to support fish life. Not much to do with corals. Look at frag tanks for example, there is no rock. If your parameters are good (everyone’s parameters are good, just sayin) then it comes down to lighting and flow. Every coral has their own preference for light and flow

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 2 year old dry rock should be LR by now. Does it have biodiversity like coraline and sponges? If not find a local reefer that has aiptasia free rock and add 10 LB to your tank. I did that and thinks turned around pretty fast. Dry rock is fine for everything other than SPS corals, they tend to benefit from established rock more than LPS and softies.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at blowing my rocks off and maybe buying some seed rock for biodiversity if thats your concern but yes i agree. Your rock is live and cycled.
Or should be...fts? More tank info? Dont make me peek your build thread if u have 1. Lol
D

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I do not think so. A lot of people start their tanks with dry rock and had success, so that seems to rule that out. I myself started with dry rock, and I have coral growing and spreading across it.

Well I had a lot of torch’s and other corals but they slowly started to die off and now I’m left with a few zoas and other easy ones

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would look at blowing my rocks off and maybe buying some seed rock for biodiversity if thats your concern but yes i agree. Your rock is live and cycled.
Or should be...fts? More tank info? Dont make me peek your build thread if u have 1. Lol
D
I mean it’s already covered in coralline and it was perfectly white when I got it. Sorry I don’t have a build thread but it’s a 75 gallon water box that I spared no expense for all the way to a Neptune trident so I dont really know what to do I’m a lost of why I can’t keep corals alive for over a year

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your 2 year old dry rock should be LR by now. Does it have biodiversity like coraline and sponges? If not find a local reefer that has aiptasia free rock and add 10 LB to your tank. I did that and thinks turned around pretty fast. Dry rock is fine for everything other than SPS corals, they tend to benefit from established rock more than LPS and softies.
It’s covered in sponges and coralline completely purple

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean it’s already covered in coralline and it was perfectly white when I got it. Sorry I don’t have a build thread but it’s a 75 gallon water box that I spared no expense for all the way to a Neptune trident so I dont really know what to do I’m a lost of why I can’t keep corals alive for over a year
Do you dip all corals? You might lost corals due to pests/diseases

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

^

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did dip all my corals and qt them I also buy them from a really good dealer so I don’t think that’s the issue
Huh, that’s odd. I would guess it’s due to your water quality or nutrients. I was able to keep sps and torches when I started with dry rock in less than a year.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, that’s odd. I would guess it’s due to your water quality or nutrients. I was able to keep sps and torches when I started with dry rock in less than a year.
It seems to me that when I turned on my mp10 the torch’s really hated the flow and would start to do less healthy then I’m thinking I may have had to much flow but it’s weird since i tried to keep it extremely low once I started noticing that

Gernader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It seems to me that when I turned on my mp10 the torch’s really hated the flow and would start to do less healthy then I’m thinking I may have had to much flow but it’s weird since i tried to keep it extremely low once I started noticing that
If it helps you at all, I have about 95x turnover in my tank and my torch gets blasted with flow all the time. I don’t think it’s due to flow.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used any copper or any medications in the tank? Are you using tap water? If you’re using RO/DI have you tested the tds? If everything is as it should be, maybe try getting an ICP test done and see if there’s anything we can’t test for that is amiss.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back