Should I get smaller silicone tubing compared to barb size for a tighter seal?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to put together a parts list for a CO2 scrubber. I just bought a couple of 3/8" barbs and was planning on using silicone tubing. I'm starting to think I should be sizing down on tubing compared to the barb to get a tighter seal. Ie using 1/4" tubing and 3/8" barbs to get the tightest seal (or 3/8" tubing and 1/2" barbs more appropriately to get less resistance with airflow). I'm thinking if I use 3/8" barbs and 3/8" tubing I may get some air leakage. Thoughts?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go the same diameter, and use a heat gun, lighter to attach it, and then I still usually have a hose clamp screwed on as well. But after doing this a few times on a few tanks, I think the ultimate best idea would be to have a threaded coupling piece of plumbing that you can undo like a quick release instead of one day trying to pry all the tubing apart from the fittings. Setting it up with rigid tubing in my opinion makes it more professional as well. I went with the recommended food grade heavy duty flexible tubing and I would far more prefer the look of solid tubing stationarily set up in a consistent setting, rather than deal with bent tubing that doesn't really look neat or blend in over rigid tubing or pvc plumbing.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that silicone fits perfectly fine size for size, especially in zero pressure instances like a co2 scrubber/skimmer. For pressurized applications, like return pumps, I always use the black plastic pinch clamps to stay leak free

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • D/C

Votes: 62 64.6%
  • Both

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 13.5%
Back