Should i increase the intensity?

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have upgraded from a 30 gal to a 120 gal.
I went from 1 ai prime hd to 4 ai prime hds running saxby and my corals loved it.
my question is my new tank is about 2 times as deep as my old tank. Should I increase the intensity of the lights now or will it be fine.
Thanks in advance!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the distance thru the water from the surface to the corals has doubled, yes, turn up your lights. Light travels through air pretty easily, but water really slows it down and reduces the PAR quickly.

Be careful if you don't have a PAR meter.

I'd suggest a couple of 10% increases spread out over 2 weeks. But it depends a lot on what levels you were at with the old tank.

OP
OP
The_Barrs_Reef

The_Barrs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the distance thru the water from the surface to the corals has doubled, yes, turn up your lights. Light travels through air pretty easily, but water really slows it down and reduces the PAR quickly.

Be careful if you don't have a PAR meter.

I'd suggest a couple of 10% increases spread out over 2 weeks. But it depends a lot on what levels you were at with the old tank.
Thanks bud I'm going from a 12in deep to a 24 in deep.. i appreciate the help

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow. There are PAR maps with primes out there, so at least find some and guess before you go too high - see what Google can find you. Slow will not hurt anything, but going too fast might.

These are not super powerful lights, so you can rest a little easy that they will not fry stuff like others can.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just googled "ai prime par map" and found some videos and posts that should give you a good swag sans a PAR meter in your home.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back