Should I just wait out the green?

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been battling algae in my tank for at least 6 weeks now and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better or worse, I’ve tried dipping rocks in a hydrogen/water mix but they only stay clean for a few days and they’re back to green. My tank is still pretty new as it’s only 5-6 months old. I seeded the tank with coralline a few days ago and I’m starting to see it on some of my zoa frag rocks, but I know that if the algae is too much then the coralline can’t take over. So my question is if I should try adding vibrant or something like that or just wait it out? And if you had a problem like mine with the algae what did you do it fix it?

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
554FAE53-D97D-4B4B-8C56-E4E9215BF6DA.jpeg
02f06bd0-c1c6-469c-9df5-ffd9ad2abaaf-jpeg.1984483
716C2734-43AF-4406-BF0F-F113F4A7FED8.jpeg

Attachments

• 02F06BD0-C1C6-469C-9DF5-FFD9AD2ABAAF.jpeg
    02F06BD0-C1C6-469C-9DF5-FFD9AD2ABAAF.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 289

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait it out, it takes months up to a year for your tank to stablize - the algae is a nature part of the maturation process. as you get more biodiversity from the maturation process, there will be enough competition for your nutrients (namely no3/po4) to keep algae in check. Any "product" or chemical you add now will just slow down the the maturation process. This include the H2o2 dip you did - it does remove algae in the short term, but it also sterilizes any good biodivesity that the rock is trying to establish.

imo, manual removal and better nutrient control and nutrient export is the way to go to ensure long term success and a mature/stable tank.

also those "green rocks" don't look bad. All rocks go thru that process before they turn purple. Mine stayed green for about a whole year.

What's your water params like? many people focus on Alk/Calc, but PH is often a very overlooked key that "unlocks" coraline growth. also what's your no3/po4, will give an idea of the algae problem.

be patient and keep it up, it will get better.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pics the green dosnt look fuzzy like hair algae.... looks like green coraline if it's just green coraline it will turn purple and pink....
The red cyanobacteria I would use syphon hose to remove it so you dont spread it all over the tank..

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're algae looks like its going through the perfectly normal cycle.

Some advice from someone who's started to come out (about 2 months or so ago) from some of the big algae issues of a new reef. My current tank has trialed just about all of my previous knowledge, but I've learned a lot:

-Measure PO4 and NO3 somewhat regularly. This is way more important that I thought with previous reefs. Some don't measure these, dont think they are important, but have the experience to back it up. But Im a convert, and for now Im measuring. You don't want your "nutrients" too high or to bottom out, there is a forgiving sweet .spot
-Make sure you have plenty of biodiversity. Fish, CUC, corals, bugs, bacteria. Foster healthy growth of these.
-Ensure you have good filtration, but dont overdo it. Its entirely possible to filter out too much of a good thing.
-Be patient, and resort to additives as a last-ditch effort. I used Vibrant, but only because my frustrations were starting to push me out of the hobby. I have very neutral advice about its use. In general, I don't like "fix it" solutions.
-In general, with these things in mind, the algae will eventually succumb to out-competition by more favorable life, such as coraline and bacteria.
-This all takes time and work. Never underestimate the benefit of manual removal, if you get algae that requires it. This is a slow but sure way to get a grip on certain algaes.

Hope this helps, happy reefing to you :)

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The phase you are at, looks perfectly natural. You don't want to interrupt the initial cycle, which can take up to a year. After a year or two, if you are experiencing Bryopsis or HA outbreaks, you may want to look into additional ways to mitigate, but even then, your system may still be cycling naturally. Patience will pay off exponentially, in this hobby. Part of the patience is trusting that if you keep your water parameters in check, nature will take care of the rest.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As said above, wait it out. Just try to keep it from getting out of hand by manually removing the thicker stuff during water changes. Do you have a clean up crew? If not, adding some snails and a few hermits will definitely keep it in check.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. That green will be there for a year or more and perfectly acceptable. Definitely don't use the hydrogen peroxide as another reefer mentioned will kill beneficial bacteria. If it gets way worse then maybe vibrant but I would just add tang or snails/ crabs to fight anymore algae and adjust feeding/ nutrient export. As for the cyano on the gravel syphon it out is a good option but in my experience adjusting the flow so that you don't blow your sand around but get more over the sand bed will help get rid of this. Good luck!

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like your close to getting coralline algae. Let it be and rocks will be purple soon enough. Patience.

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're algae looks like its going through the perfectly normal cycle.

Some advice from someone who's started to come out (about 2 months or so ago) from some of the big algae issues of a new reef. My current tank has trialed just about all of my previous knowledge, but I've learned a lot:

-Measure PO4 and NO3 somewhat regularly. This is way more important that I thought with previous reefs. Some don't measure these, dont think they are important, but have the experience to back it up. But Im a convert, and for now Im measuring. You don't want your "nutrients" too high or to bottom out, there is a forgiving sweet .spot
-Make sure you have plenty of biodiversity. Fish, CUC, corals, bugs, bacteria. Foster healthy growth of these.
-Ensure you have good filtration, but dont overdo it. Its entirely possible to filter out too much of a good thing.
-Be patient, and resort to additives as a last-ditch effort. I used Vibrant, but only because my frustrations were starting to push me out of the hobby. I have very neutral advice about its use. In general, I don't like "fix it" solutions.
-In general, with these things in mind, the algae will eventually succumb to out-competition by more favorable life, such as coraline and bacteria.
-This all takes time and work. Never underestimate the benefit of manual removal, if you get algae that requires it. This is a slow but sure way to get a grip on certain algaes.

Hope this helps, happy reefing to you :)
Okay thank you all very much. Your advice means a lot. One thing I wanted to add my zoanthids have started doing this new thing that they never used to do before, they almost look like they’re popping out and when I touch them they don’t close. It’s very strange and I notice they all are doing it now, it’s not all the time but very common now.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s green coraline algae. Nothing to worry about. I had the same question and made a thread asking about it. Feel free to look it up. Everything eventually turned purple

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back