Should I practice ich management?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a mature tank with lots of biodiversity and microfauna will take care of this a lot better than a sterile tank with only some bacteria added. The mature tank will quickly consume any ich tomonts/cycts (or whatever) that hit the sand... food is food for these critters. This is why people have always said that mature tanks are easier to keep fish in, even though most people think that it is because of stability. Sterile tanks just provide a breeding ground for the ich.

I totally agree.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing $1000+ of Tangs to ICH... I was told to buy an African Cleaner Wrasse . Havent lost a single fish to ICH since.

Now you'll get naysayers saying this Wrasse doesn't eat the ICH parasite and only eats dead scales off the fish... Idk man... strange how I would lose 1-3 tangs a year for 10 years straight... then after this addition, not one loss.

This cleaner MUST MUST MUST come from African and be marketed as an African Cleaner Wrasse

20200221_111037.jpg
I think its something to do with the fact that cleaning organisms like labroides and the cleaner shrimp, help to relax fish and make them feel comfortable it lowers their stress, so a calm less stressed fish can better fight disease, or something like that i read

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do. As long as you feed frozen food with some clams in it. Selcon isn't a bad thing, but it will just go into the water and not in your fish.
For people who feed dry foods, which I think is silly, you can add Selcon to that as it will replace some of the oils and maybe vitamins missing from dry foods, but fresh or frozen foods are so much better there is no reason to add Selcon.

Dry foods were invented for the same reason they invented white flour. Convenience, and it doesn't need refrigeration which is expensive.

Anything that doesn't need refrigeration means either there is nothing good in it to go bad or it is packed with preservatives.

Do fish in the sea eat "Quality dry foods?" Clams are already packed with clam juice. :p
smh lol

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go along with Paul B's advice. I'm a newbie compared to him, but I've been keeping saltwater fish since the late 80's and I've never quarantined a fish and never lost one to sickness. Had a couple think they were Greg Louganis and hit the floor. As an example, just a few weeks ago I decided to raise the temp in my tank. It was running around 75 for about 4-5 months and though maybe I should up it. My heater setting are not super accurate and the temp went up to 79 in one day and my blue tang broke out with white spots. All the fish have been in this tank with no additions for at least a year. Tang has been in there for 2 years and never had anything. The only thing I did was lower the temp back. The ick lasted about 3 days and just disappeared. No other fish were affected. I've never used medication - wouldn't even know how.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot how to use fish medication and don't have any. Stupid invention and not needed. :p

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with Paul B..... established tank, stress free environment, and healthy Frozen or live foods equals healthy fish. I call it the Au Natural way!

I know many believe that QT is the only way to go. Everyone has to do what is best for their tank.

@Paul B I need the name of your book again, I was wanting to order a copy. If you could please PM me that would be great!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cancun, I could do that but it is under every post I make in this forum. 100% of the profits go to MS research in my wife's name and all I get is worms. :rolleyes:

It's on Amazon,

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cancun, I could do that but it is under every post I make in this forum. 100% of the profits go to MS research in my wife's name and all I get is worms. :rolleyes:

It's on Amazon,
Gotcha! I am so sorry Paul! I have read most of your posts, but must have missed it! Sorry about your wife's MS! I have to buy your book! I really love your methods and it is so logical! Thanks!!!

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot how to use fish medication and don't have any. Stupid invention and not needed. :p
What about diseases like velvet? Just went through a velvet outbreak and never want to go through that again.

how do you prevent introducing velvet in a tank? Theres no “natural” way to manage it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back