Should I redo this connection in plumbing?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to glue a corner piece to a straight piece of pvc, I made two marks because I needed it at a specific angle. I put on the primer pvc glue on the straight piece of pvc that goes inside the corner connection, and then I wiped it off because it removed my mark I made with sharpie, then I reapplied more primer on the same spot then applied the main pvc cement. My worry is that the connection is weak because I removed the initial primer cement and reapplied it. Should I be worried or just let it cure?
It is for my return manifold. I can post a pic if needed.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm reading that correctly, then you actually did it the way it's supposed to be done.

One coat of primer let it dry, second coat of primer, apply glue before the primer drys, and jam the two pieces together while the glue is still good a wet, hold the pieces together for ~ 30 seconds.

If that's what you did, you should be golden.

If it's on a drain, you're probably fine no matter what.

That's how I've always interpreted the directions and done it anyway.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm reading that correctly, then you actually did it the way it's supposed to be done.

One coat of primer let it dry, second coat of primer, apply glue before the primer drys, and jam the two pieces together while the glue is still good a wet, hold the pieces together for ~ 30 seconds.

If that's what you did, you should be golden.

If it's on a drain, you're probably fine no matter what.

That's how I've always interpreted the directions and done it anyway.
Yeah that's pretty much what I did, I applied the primer but then I wiped it off, but it still softened the pipe, then applied another primer and then the glue and glued the two pieces together. should I just leave it how it is and not worry about it? thanks, I didn't know people did primer twice haha

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you allowed primer to dry before glue it’s fine

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
done this way too many times on industrial applications. it will be just fine.
the pipe will resoften.

wait until you have to yank apart a joint after you apply the primer and glue before it sets in 30 seconds.
been there and done that. reapplied primer and glue after wiping as much off as i could and it still held city water pressure @ 80psi and years of chemically charged water running through it.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's pretty much what I did, I applied the primer but then I wiped it off, but it still softened the pipe, then applied another primer and then the glue and glued the two pieces together. should I just leave it how it is and not worry about it? thanks, I didn't know people did primer twice haha
You should be good to go. If one of he materials is ABS, the primer will soften it up to the point i'd probably consider it a loss. Never use PVC primer on ABS. That'd be something like a bulkhead fitting. PVC to PCV you should be in good shape.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go. If one of he materials is ABS, the primer will soften it up to the point i'd probably consider it a loss. Never use PVC primer on ABS. That'd be something like a bulkhead fitting. PVC to PCV you should be in good shape.
Ive used primer and glue on abs to pvc transitions as well. though not ideal and not recommended, it works for our open loops just fine.
id likely not use this for a pressurized application though :)

Back