Should I restart ?

alexroy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

About 4 months ago I lost all my fish to velvet so I kinda lost my passion but know I’m preparing to get back started over the course of the 4 months I did a couple of water changes I was wondering should I just restart the tank are should I do a water change once a week for awhile before I add fish again

IMG_4447.jpeg IMG_4449.jpeg IMG_4448.jpeg

OP
OP
alexroy89

alexroy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, do the 90 day fallow and just start slowly. No reason to do water changes as nothing’s in there to produce waste. Gorgeous rock scape!
Thanks I’m kinda anxious just don’t want to lose my fish again do you think I should introduce a clean up crew before fish?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? There doesn’t appear to be any algae. Unless you’re going to feed the cuc they would probably starve. Once you start seeing algae start with a small amount of cuc and add as the need increases. It would be a great time to start adding pods and phytoplankton. Learn from your previous experience and qt all new fish or buy them already quarantined. I know it’s hard to look at a tank without life in it but you’ll be loving it in a few months.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’m kinda anxious just don’t want to lose my fish again do you think I should introduce a clean up crew before fish?
I would wait until you "need" the cleanup crew.
I would also spot feed the coral you do have once per week.
Definatly have a qt for new fish additions.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero need to restart. Just be sure it’s been 90 days before any fish go in. A few sand sifters for cuc maybe good. and you can always toss a bit of flake in to make sure they don’t starve.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation and have just gone the 90 day fallow route. I pulled the one remaining fish and treated him in qt then have added a couple more that were treated and qt'ed and are all waiting in a 20 gallon for the fallow period to end.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

About 4 months ago I lost all my fish to velvet so I kinda lost my passion but know I’m preparing to get back started over the course of the 4 months I did a couple of water changes I was wondering should I just restart the tank are should I do a water change once a week for awhile before I add fish again

That is a very nice rock-scape.

While it is not necessary, personally, I'd strip the tank down, disinfect and rebuild. I'd be reluctant about adding fish otherwise.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very nice rock-scape.

While it is not necessary, personally, I'd strip the tank down, disinfect and rebuild. I'd be reluctant about adding fish otherwise.
Why is that?

Quote from Jay hemdal:

Personally, I'd opt for a full 75 day fallow period, just because velvet is so nasty and difficult to control if it returns.

Post in thread 'Fallow Period for Velvet Using High Temperature' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...et-using-high-temperature.878158/post-9672118

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello

what are your parameters? I would not do anything special. If it's been 4 months since the last fish, you should be able to add fish. I would consider what happened last time, that let velvet into your tank (i.e. did you QT, etc etc). I would absolutely not take everything down etc. but thats my opinion only - others feel differently

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back