should i run a skimmer ?

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all, i am setting up a 60 gallon cube that will house softies, zoas and palys. i have always run a skimmer and i have lifereef unit that will be a tough fit in my trigger cube sump. i was thinking about not running one and just using a polyfilter and some chaeto in the refugium section. i will have a few small fish that will be feed once a day. i also plan on doing a 10% weekly water change. any thoughts about this setup without a skimmer ? thanks for any input.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. It makes life easier and agree about aeration helping with the ph. SCA makes good ones that are reasonable and not too big of a footprint. Plus if you ever need to dose something like noPox, you'll need a skimmer.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re keeping softies, zoas and palys, you’ll be fine going skimmerless as those corals actually prefer “dirtier” water. As far as aeration goes, if you have adequate surface agitation via powerheads or return nozzles pointed toward the surface, you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
chum

chum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the input. i forgot to mention that the tank has a corner overflow also.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back