Should i start dosing Nitrates and Phos

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been battling 0 Nitrate and Phosphate for about 2months now since I started testing it. It could have been zero for alot longer but finally got around to testing it.
I use to be very diligent on my feedings and only give the fish enough that they would eat all I put in there and they were fat still.
After seeing my levels and mostly my reason for all my SPS to be very pale in color but still growing.
I started to feed 2-3times a day frozen, reef chili, pellets and was Dosing red sea Reef energy as well
I also switched my skimmer to 12hr only and stopped water changes. The highest I was able to get my phos for a very short perid was 4ppb on my ULR hanna and my API always showed 0 on nitrate.
So I didnt trust the API cause they are kinda ehh and I bought a Nyos kit and nitrate is still showing zero and phos is 0 again. I have now totally removed my skimmer and made that chamber into a fuge.
I dont really have any major algae issues just my back wall has some covering it and a very little bit on the sand towards the front of the tank. Before my back wall was clean and there was zero on the sand and look pristine. Id really like my SPS to color up better so should I just keep doing the Reef energy and give it time or actually start dosing Nitrate and phosphate. I just dont want to walk into a huge algae explosion doing it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back