Should I switch salts?

Bbio

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2025
Messages
125
Reaction score
72
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Red Sea coral pro (black bucket) for about a year now on my low demand 190 gallon system. My nitrates are always low 3-5ppm and my phosphates are 0.06-0.12.

I’m maintaining an alk of 9 and dose AFR between water changes to keep it at 9. My problem with black bucket is, it raises my alk 0.3-0.4 after a water change. So I either have to stop dosing around a water change and let alk drop to 8.7 and do the change or stop dosing after the change and let it drop from 9.3 back to 9 before I dose again.

This constant daily testing for alk around water change day has become annoying. So I want to switch to a salt that is more close to what I want.

I picked up a bucket of Red Sea (blue bucket) that mixes to an alk of 8.

I’m planning to stop dosing and let my alk drop to 8 from 9 slowly and start using the blue bucket so water changes won’t spike my alk and I won’t have to test daily anymore around water change day.

It’s this the right move? I’m worried about buffering capacity. My pH is on the low side (8-8.1 during the day and 7.7-7.8 during the night). I run a chaeto fuge on an opposite light schedule to try to offset fluctuations.


20260927_125342_9292F800-35C0-4EA6-8622-CD8D88931E5C.png


20260927_125342_9BAB8F3E-76D9-4A91-8612-F261F7777A22.png
 
I use the same salt on my 2 reef tanks, I've tried to switch to other salts but my corals didn't like it at all, after a month I had to switch back to coral pro.

Same as you I guess, I reduce the AFR usage just before and after the water change and then bring it back to normal. Its a bit annoying, but it works. My tanks are more coral heavy than yours, so maybe thats why I saw such a negative reaction from my corals IDK, just giving the benefit of my experience, good luck
 
I use the same salt on my 2 reef tanks, I've tried to switch to other salts but my corals didn't like it at all, after a month I had to switch back to coral pro.

Same as you I guess, I reduce the AFR usage just before and after the water change and then bring it back to normal. Its a bit annoying, but it works. My tanks are more coral heavy than yours, so maybe thats why I saw such a negative reaction from my corals IDK, just giving the benefit of my experience, good luck
Ah geez. Well, thanks for the camaraderie. You’re stronger than I. I have to test alk for like 6+ days straight around water changes so I just feel like I’m always doing it and burning through a lot of reagent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new