Should I trust hanna salinity checker

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the hydrometer arrived today, it also read 1.023 so I guess either my refractometer is in need of replacing or I’ve had 2 bad batches of calibration fluid on it. It is 3 years old and only cost £15 so I guess it won’t be the best.
Well now you know. You did use the temperature correction I assume?
1681852845763.png

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As above, like @mrpontiac80 says.
My experience with the Hanna salinity meter is that it accurately reads 0.002 low!
This isn't an issue as I just use to to ensure new water and my DT read the same prior to water changes. The built in temperature gauge comes in handy too.
If I remember correctly Hanna states an accuracy of +/- 0.001

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR

I own most of the Hana Checkers out there, well the basic ones like calcium, nitrate, dkh and phosphorus. As for testing salinity with Hannah, I passed on that one and just bought myself a decent refractometer.. I can't go wrong using a refractometer since you can calibrate them with ease.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve learned to never trust a refractometer unless you calibrate with your own solution. None of the calibration fluids sold are consistently accurate enough. I’ve tried lab grade hydrometers as well but they were even less accurate. I used to believe that being off 1 or 2 points in salinity was not a big deal. However, once I stabilized at the proper salinity, my tank has never looked better. I confirm my salinity is correct through ATI regularly as well.

I’d also add that I sold my Alkatronic, Mastertronic and Dosetronicz. Now I only run a calcium reactor and dose amino acids occasionally. I’ve gone as far as throwing out all of my test kits. Instead I send in a sample to ATI every month or two to make sure nothing is out of range. This ensures that the measured parameters are very accurate as well as keeping several weeks between testing to make sure any changes have leveled out.
What did you stabilize your salinity at for things to look good?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now you know. You did use the temperature correction I assume?
1681852845763.png

I'm curious about that table and what exactly are the units along the top. It does not appear to be correct specific gravity corrections for a hydrometer calibrated at 77 deg F.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about that table and what exactly are the units along the top. It does not appear to be correct specific gravity corrections for a hydrometer calibrated at 77 deg F.
Well I just screenshot that chart off of a BRS spotlight video with Jen talking about the hydrometer for reference when I bought mine about a year ago.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can always check where 35 ppt lines up on a chart for any hydrometer.

If the hydrometer is calibrated at 77 deg F (as the Tropic Marin is), then 35 ppt at 77 deg F should read a specific gravity of about 1.0264.

The table you posted above shows 35 ppt at 77 deg F to have a value of a bit under 1.025. Thus, it either is not specific gravity or it is for a different calibration temperature (or it is just wrong).

Tropic Marin also notes that:

"The specific gravity of natural seawater of 35 ‰ (psu*) is 1.026 – compared to water measured at 25 °C / 77 °F."

"DO NOT CONFUSE: The “Tropic Marin® Aräometer”, which is used in German speaking countries, has a scale with a green printing and the indication ‘Dichte/density’."

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust only what you can verify.

I love my Hanna checker, its also great for verifying temp probes. BUT I calibrate it often and compare it to other measuring devices to insure accuracy.

Same thing with test kits. Every so often its good to check it against something else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back