Should i try to raise PH? How??

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the PH in my tank stays around 7.9 and 8.05, Should I take steps to try and increase it to the ideal 8.3? and how would I even go about it? I'm a little confused on the process of how to do it. I tested and calibrated the probe on my Apex system so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I only have 2 corals right now and a few fish, but I'm hesitant to get some nice corals if the PH is going to affect it drastically

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.9 is not horrible my opinion.

chasing numbers may get you in more trouble lol. Stability is more important in my opinion.

But if you want- I would first try to run line from your skimmer to outside air. This may help.

a co2 scrubber may help- but they go thru media pretty fast in my opinion.

many use kelkwasser to help keep PH elevated.

reducing co2 in surrounding air could help- some use an air exchanger in their house or fish room- but this is a larger project.

but I think 7.9 is not bad, and is a “workable” number.
Good luck and happy reefing.

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7.9 is not horrible my opinion.

chasing numbers may get you in more trouble lol.

I would first try to run a line from tour skimmer to outside air. This may help.

a co2 scrubber may help- but they go thru media pretty fast in my opinion.

many use kelkwasser to help jeep PH elevated.

but I think 7.9 is not bad, and is a “workable” number.
Good luck and happy reefing.
I just saw something about using an air stone do do this as well, I already have like 50 feet of tubing for it, do you think this could possibly have a positive effect as well?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the PH in my tank stays around 7.9 and 8.05, Should I take steps to try and increase it to the ideal 8.3? and how would I even go about it? I'm a little confused on the process of how to do it. I tested and calibrated the probe on my Apex system so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I only have 2 corals right now and a few fish, but I'm hesitant to get some nice corals if the PH is going to affect it drastically
I wouldn't necessarily trust the apex probe. I just recently re calibrated my pH probe and after calibration I left it in the 10pH solution which it recorded as 9.88. So I'm assuming my reading is a little low. I've used manual tests that show my tank range from 8.0 to 8.2 and the probe says 7.79-8.06. So if I add in the amount I thinks it's off by it closely matches the test kit I used.

Even if your pH is actually 7.9-8.05 that should be fine. You can probably raise it my reducing CO2 in the tank. You can use a scrubber or run your protein skimmer air intake outside would possibly help, if you use a skimmer. There is a test you can run to see if reducing CO2 will raise your pH to see if those will help.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw something about using an air stone do do this as well, I already have like 50 feet of tubing for it, do you think this could possibly have a positive effect as well?
I’ve never used an air stone, but I imagine if the air pump was in outside air it would bring air with less co2.

I would use the 50 ft of airline tubing and try to get the skimmer to suck air from outside instead.

I got silicone tubing from eBay- it was a bit larger then regular air line tubing. My ph went up from an average of 7.8 to 8.0.

mine flucuated between 8.0 and 8.3(on a good day lol)

I use a kalk stirrer, auto top off adds fresh water and over flows kelk during top off, and have air line from skimmer ran outside.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get about a .2 increase from running my skimmers air intake outside. I'm not sure if the air stone would be as effective because you are still pulling in the higher CO2 air through your skimmer, again assuming you use a skimmer.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph runs in the same range for a few years now with no problems. If your corals are ok don't worry about it. Anyway that may be the reason I can't keep duncans in my tank, but everything else is fine so I will not try to change the ph. Adding chemicals to raise ph will only be temp and cause instability. I am okay with not having duncans, I have a large clam and is growing well, pipe organ, flowerpot and other corals growing just fine.

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also get about a .2 increase from running my skimmers air intake outside. I'm not sure if the air stone would be as effective because you are still pulling in the higher CO2 air through your skimmer, again assuming you use a skimmer.
I do have a skimmer, but the tubing is way to small for the hole, I could probably make a makeshift adapter or something lol

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph runs in the same range for a few years now with no problems. If your corals are ok don't worry about it. Anyway that may be the reason I can't keep duncans in my tank, but everything else is fine so I will not try to change the ph. Adding chemicals to raise ph will only be temp and cause instability. I am okay with not having duncans, I have a large clam and is growing well, pipe organ, flowerpot and other corals growing just fine.
Do you have any zoas? Looking to get some soon and wonder if I'll be able to keep them

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used an air stone, but I imagine if the air pump was in outside air it would bring air with less co2.

I would use the 50 ft of airline tubing and try to get the skimmer to suck air from outside instead.

I got silicone tubing from eBay- it was a bit larger then regular air line tubing. My ph went up from an average of 7.8 to 8.0.

mine flucuated between 8.0 and 8.3(on a good day lol)

I use a kalk stirrer, auto top off adds fresh water and over flows kelk during top off, and have air line from skimmer ran outside.
I might have to make a makeshift adapter since the airline tubing is pretty small compared to the skimmer air hole

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of my skimmer for reference, and no worries about the color of the water in it, this picture is from a problem I was having a week ago but it’s resolved now

Attachments

• B122ADDB-65A8-4CF4-8112-E97520BACC71.png
    B122ADDB-65A8-4CF4-8112-E97520BACC71.png
    645.8 KB · Views: 23

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small medical device that is an oxygen concentrater, which separates oxygen from air and may help introduce almost pure oxygen into skimmer line. I just might try it tonight when I run my skimmer. Will let you know how I make out.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a skimmer, but the tubing is way to small for the hole, I could probably make a makeshift adapter or something lol
I wouldn't do that. If you downsize the tubing going to your skimmer you will reduce the amount of air that it pulls in and effect (probably negatively) its performance. With your pH where it is if there isn't easy solution I wouldn't worry about trying to raise it if I were you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back