Should I worry about this chip in my glass? Round 2.

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously I posted about a chipped panel on my CADE 1500 S2. I hit it with a rock.

I decided to replace that tank with a new one. It took 3 tries for a replacement to arrive without damage from shipping.

Today the movers moved the latest tank from the garage to my dining room. They brought it into the house using two movers. Each wore a hardness, with a single wide strap going between them under the tank. When they got it inside, one of them needed to set it down, so they did. When they picked it back up, the tank didn't come up evenly. There was a good crunch from the last corner to leave the floor. The floor is porcelain tile BTW.

I didn't notice until about 5 minutes after they left, but the crunch was the left rear corner of my tank breaking off. I've peeled some of the black film off the back and side to better see the extent of the damage.

What are your thoughts on this damaged corner? For size reference, the foam under the tank is approx 3/16".

crack2-6740.jpg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a lot about glass. Can you explain what in the photo helped you to come to the conclusion?

I don't see little lines emanating like I did on my last one. Is there anything elseI should look for?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time identifying what I'm looking at. Some weird optical illusion I guess. It's probably ok to use, but I would still want to have a word with the movers about the damage...

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time identifying what I'm looking at. Some weird optical illusion I guess. It's probably ok to use, but I would still want to have a word with the movers about the damage...
I second this. Sounds like you've had quite the hassle with getting an undamaged tank. Me personally, wouldn't accept it and I would make them get me a perfect, undamaged tank.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the back right bottom corner of the tank. This is shot from just below the bottom of the glass looking up. Her's a less cropped version to help orient yourself.

I've also included another angle of the damage. I don't love the small lines coming off the top area.

IMG_1603.jpg
crack2-6741.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's the back right bottom corner of the tank. This is shot from just below the bottom of the glass looking up. Her's a less cropped version to help orient yourself.

I've also included another angle of the damage. I don't love the small lines coming off the top area.

IMG_1603.jpg
crack2-6741.jpg
Dont see this being a bad risk and would fill with water for 48-72 hours an assurance it holds water well. If this was offered to me for sale- I would likely buy it.
You can use a small piece of PVC corner moulding to fill in the area for aesthetics.

1692138156319.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang! I agree that should be fine to use, but it does suck to have the happen to a brand new tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back