Should Livestock Businesses Require Proof of Competency Before Selling?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
I know they aren’t cats and dogs, but fish, coral, and invertebrates are animals. Do you think sellers should inquire on your experience and setup before selling livestock to you? Or is this considered offensive and insulting? No wrong answers, just seeing what you think!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of animals that die under mistreatment of care (especially coral) is astounding. Not to even mention fish with a record of health issues and special requirements.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have to fill out so much paperwork and oftentimes describe your living conditions and lifestyle to get a cat that basically takes care of itself outside cleaning a litter box and putting out food and water but you can walk into a fish store with $100 and walk out with a fish that grows to 2 feet long and needs the equivalent of a public aquarium to thrive is IMO a massive black stain on the hobby.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many clownfish would be sold if the LFS stated "you know these can live to be 30." and "no, we don't buy back fish."

I think there should be some back and fourth between the customer and employee about purchases. I usually get the "do you own a saltwater tank?" but I'm usually not buying groupers anymore.

It would be in the LFS best interests if they want a good future customer if they are selling things that might be expert only to make sure they know what they are getting into. If they have a customer that is killing things that they are clearly not ready for, then they may have the customer blame the LFS for their issues and bolt to another store for "better livestock" even when it wasn't the livestock at all, just the lack of advice/skill before the sale.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, yes, they should.
While it may cost the business a few sensitive customers and an immediate sale, there are plenty of people that have no idea what they're getting into with some livestock and they should be informed before they purchase.

I always check with customers about their experience, tank setup, livestock requirements and whether they can meet them etc.
Some customers may offended, but I would value being asked about this over buying a living creature that I can't care for.

There are so many posts with people saying they don't know what they bought, and it turns out that they can't take care of it. Same goes for impulse purchases.
If sellers got proof of competency before selling livestock, I think the hobby would have far less issues with mortality.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not asking customers at swaps in the past. I’d get people saying,”Give me that grass looking one”, when it was a green goniopora, etc.. I now try to be polite and just ask Reefers what type of setup they have in a casual way. If they appear clueless, I’ll try to steer them towards hardier species.

I have done swaps that were combined with freshwater, and I would have to explain quite often that coral are saltwater species.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guilty of not asking customers at swaps in the past. I’d get people saying,”Give me that grass looking one”, when it was a green goniopora, etc.. I now try to be polite and just ask Reefers what type of setup they have in a casual way. If they appear clueless, I’ll try to steer them towards hardier species.

I have done swaps that were combined with freshwater, and I would have to explain quite often that coral are saltwater species.
You had to explain that corals were a saltwater species?!? That's crazy!

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
I know they aren’t cats and dogs, but fish, coral, and invertebrates are animals. Do you think sellers should inquire on your experience and setup before selling livestock to you? Or is this considered offensive and insulting? No wrong answers, just seeing what you think!
There are some that do. I know theres a guy that collects sharks and wont sell without proof of a more than sufficiently large tank.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you open a can of worms. If you want to place moral responsibility on the fish dealer, then the same responsibility apply to all vendor of all products.
Yea kinda but at the same time a unless reality is actually extremely whacky I dont think theres an ethical dilemma in selling a tv to a negligent person. It would be cool to see vendors that took a bit more of a stand on it though even if it was just an extra box to tick at checkout that says "I am aware of the special needs of the creatures I am buying"

Nikorad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the employees should be required to be experts, but that’s for the business to decide. I wouldn’t want someone mishandling my $300 fish/coral.

Nikorad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more concerned with the competency of the LFS than anything else. A lot of them will sell a shark to a guy with a goldfish bowl (exaggeration of course) and tell them it's a good fit.
Wanna hear something funny, I went to petco for some goldfish for my aquaponincs project, the lady there was grilling me more about my setup then at a saltwater LFS lol

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the employees should be required to be experts, but that’s for the business to decide. I wouldn’t want someone mishandling my $300 fish/coral.

I'm more concerned with the competency of the LFS than anything else. A lot of them will sell a shark to a guy with a goldfish bowl (exaggeration of course) and tell them it's a good fit.
Those are good points too. Having an inexperienced employee sell livestock to an inexperienced hobbyist can be a recipe for disaster for everyone.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good points too. Having an inexperienced employee sell livestock to an inexperienced hobbyist can be a recipe for disaster for everyone.
Exactly, I wonder how many potential great reefers have given up on the hobby because of bad advice. Of course, the vast majority of LFS I've found are great places that want to help but it only takes 1 bad apple

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back