Should Livestock Businesses Require Proof of Competency Before Selling?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the employees should be required to be experts, but that’s for the business to decide. I wouldn’t want someone mishandling my $300 fish/coral.
Both of the places I worked at when I was a kid absolutely grilled you during the interview, one wrong answer and you werent hired.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I would go that far but I think it's very important for LFS employees to know what they are talking about
Yea it was. The first place was a bit much (I was 15 working 48 hours a week).

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
require proof? no. ask about my set up to see if its a good fit? sure! i dont know everything and am always glad when someone checks to make sure i understand what im getting. better for me , them and the creature if they do!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you open a can of worms. If you want to place moral responsibility on the fish dealer, then the same responsibility apply to all vendor of all products.
That's a good point.

I'm going to spin this. We need to be a certain age to buy tobacco products and alcohol and need to produce an I.D. to purchase. I even get carded when I go to a dealership to buy a car, granted there is a lot more responsibility/liability behind getting a car.

I work in the fisheries field. In both fresh and saltwater habitats, irresponsible pet owners dump overgrown fish into local waterways which can cause issues. This may be lessened by education of BOTH parties, my pet store can't by law sell certain species which could naturalize and also large growing species like pacu I rarely see locally.

I know many people don't want to see this hobby overregulated, but taking a hard look at educating vendors and hobbyists is long overdue IMO.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you open a can of worms. If you want to place moral responsibility on the fish dealer, then the same responsibility apply to all vendor of all products.
Idk.. first its "mandates" of all kinds, shelter in place "orders", then fish ownership qualifications, then what- guns, gasoline cars, air conditioning or home size limitations... no thanks, not America

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point.

I'm going to spin this. We need to be a certain age to buy tobacco products and alcohol and need to produce an I.D. to purchase. I even get carded when I go to a dealership to buy a car, granted there is a lot more responsibility/liability behind getting a car.

I work in the fisheries field. In both fresh and saltwater habitats, irresponsible pet owners dump overgrown fish into local waterways which can cause issues. This may be lessened by education of BOTH parties, my pet store can't by law sell certain species which could naturalize and also large growing species like pacu I rarely see locally.

I know many people don't want to see this hobby overregulated, but taking a hard look at educating vendors and hobbyists is long overdue IMO.
Now that is how you open a can of worms

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No! Last thing I want is the government involved in reefing lol

Idk.. first its "mandates" of all kinds, shelter in place "orders", then fish ownership qualifications, then what- guns, gasoline cars, air conditioning or home size limitations... no thanks, not America
I’m not suggesting government mandates. I’m asking if businesses should inquire about your ability to keep the animals you want to buy.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not suggesting government mandates. I’m asking if businesses should inquire about your ability to keep the animals you want to buy.
I have a lfs nearby and the lady was always asking questions, refused selling certain fish because she knew about my murderous Desjardini. All the fish were her babies. I was salty about it for a while but came to respect her care for the animals and I continue to support her business even when I know I can get something cheaper elsewhere. So I'll say that a seller asking questions and tailoring the sale to thier skill level in person is very different than being qualified online. And any widespread official rule, with consequences for violation, sounds like government action. But in person, it's easy to appreciate somebody's care for these animals we all love

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got ask the other day when buying my son a snail for his fw tank if i had filtration/heater and how old the tank was and what i had inside of it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking restaurants should ask if you can eat the whole meal?

Race car dealers should ask if you know how to drive 200mph in a 30 zone?

And the electric company should ask if you know what the grounding wire is for?

Do condoms come with a warning label like cigarettes do?

So many helpful conversations to engage with when in the market place.
Big Brother Sisters GIF by MOODMAN
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Can't be too safe or careful, or can we?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking restaurants should ask if you can eat the whole meal?

Race car dealers should ask if you know how to drive 200mph in a 30 zone?

And the electric company should ask if you know what the grounding wire is for?

Do condoms come with a warning label like cigarettes do?

So many helpful conversations to engage with when in the market place.
Big Brother Sisters GIF by MOODMAN
:smiling-face-with-sunglasses: Can't be too safe or careful, or can we?
Lol! You jest, but also bring up a good point. We all value life in different degrees, and to some it is a disposable commodity. I will even irradiate aiptasia on sight without a second thought. I guess we all play God in our own way.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there should be accountability on both sides. My lfs sold my sister in law 4 clownfish for a brand new 40g.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. A lot of people rely on LFS for advice and it can really cause people to crash and burn if the employees don't know what they are talking about, especially in regards to someone who is just now getting in the hobby. If you have people working there that all know about the hobby, it can lead to a more positive experience for the customer, and make new hobbyist feel more confident in what they are doing.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
I know they aren’t cats and dogs, but fish, coral, and invertebrates are animals. Do you think sellers should inquire on your experience and setup before selling livestock to you? Or is this considered offensive and insulting? No wrong answers, just seeing what you think!
Of course sellers should be inquired about their experience before selling lifestock to customers. Wait, you mean experience of the customers? Usually I answer with:

Last time when I inquired why their slimefish were on the brink of starving I only got "lack of personal" excuses. Seller like that shouldn't ask me anything about my setup unless they want to embarrass themselves.

I understand though a lot of customers have no clue about reefing, but in that case the person asking the questions need to be skilled in reefing themselves.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno about fish but should they require a license to raise children also? I got no answers but also wonder about ethical conundrums
Just a question about if vendors and businesses should ask about your tank,etc. when selling livestock. To help reduce casualties from incompatibility, etc. Nothing about any government mandates.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back