Should Livestock Businesses Require Proof of Competency Before Selling?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with the amount of people comming here for advice it might be a good idea.
I know of sevaral stores that love new reefers. Without people that don't know what they are doing I would go out of business they say.
I have heard so much wrong advice from many lfs that maybe they should be monitored to some extent.
Dead fish in the tanks, that ones half price, they laugh and leave it there and go back and sit down.
Full systems with dead coral, it just happens, expect it as it will happen to you one day.
Im all for less regulation but not at the animals expense.
Go to petco. Dead fish all the time.
I wonder how long they would be in business if they had dead cats in cages?
If people would take the time to understand what is involved to maintain said systems the hobby would be better off long term.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up Reefers!
I know they aren’t cats and dogs, but fish, coral, and invertebrates are animals. Do you think sellers should inquire on your experience and setup before selling livestock to you? Or is this considered offensive and insulting? No wrong answers, just seeing what you think!
That is a tough one as PROOF might be hard. BUT, maybe some paperwork to fill out, on site, or a series of questions. Something is definitely needed, but on both sides of this fence because SOME pet store sales people have even LESS knowledge of what they are selling us. There needs to be a 2 way fix in this area.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question about if vendors and businesses should ask about your tank,etc. when selling livestock. To help reduce casualties from incompatibility, etc. Nothing about any government mandates.
I wasn’t being serious per se, but it is a valid conundrum in that does a vendor bear any responsibility for a life that is essentially “for sale” … good topic good question…
… the license & children cliche is a rabbit hole

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t being serious per se, but it is a valid conundrum in that does a vendor bear any responsibility for a life that is essentially “for sale” … good topic good question…
… the license & children cliche is a rabbit hole
Although....., there are alot of people that shouldn't be responsible for kids. Interesting angle for thought

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. If you frequent an lfs they should eventually get to know you and your tank and your reefing abilities. However if you are visiting a new lfs I think it’s ok for them to ask questions. If an lfs is just selling anything to a newbie it will most likely end in disaster and probably cause the person to leave the hobby. A good lfs will be watching out for the hobbyist and a long term customer.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
They don't for dogs, cats, houses, businesses, flowers, trees, cars, ect...

Any one of what I mentioned can go wrong and die. So why would they? Morally, it's a good idea but nobody would make money if they did.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back