Should the pump on my CaRx sound like this??

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller Geo. The air/micro bubbles will eventually purge along with the effluent as it exits the reactor. CO2 will make a little noise when the bubble hits the impeller but it gets dissolved into the water pretty quickly so you shouldn't see all those bubbles at the bottom when it's running properly.

Which model Geo is it and how do you have the lines hooked to it? Mine has the CO2 input right before the pump on the downward part of the tube going to the pump. Water in from the aquarium is next one up on the top horizontal pipe before the CO2. Water exits the reactor from the fitting in the lid. Air will accumulate under the lid and exit out this port if the bubble gets big enough.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the smaller Geo. The air/micro bubbles will eventually purge along with the effluent as it exits the reactor. CO2 will make a little noise when the bubble hits the impeller but it gets dissolved into the water pretty quickly so you shouldn't see all those bubbles at the bottom when it's running properly.

Which model Geo is it and how do you have the lines hooked to it? Mine has the CO2 input right before the pump on the downward part of the tube going to the pump. Water in from the aquarium is next one up on the top horizontal pipe before the CO2. Water exits the reactor from the fitting in the lid. Air will accumulate under the lid and exit out this port if the bubble gets big enough.
It's the CR818. I have mine hooked up the same way. CO2 is set to 1 bubble per second and effluent is set to the same. I ran the reactor for about 8 hours and the bubbles are about the same.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the older version, this is what mine looks like. CO2 comes in on the vertical and effluent out on the top where the gate valve is.

geo_818_600x600.jpg

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little different setup than mine but if you are pulling water out at the top then eventually all the air should evacuate if your not putting air in somewhere else. Not sure I understand your statement on the effluent. Do you mean you have one drop per second? If you are using a peristaltic Kamoer then you don't use a gate valve or needle valve to control effluent.

How are you feeding the reactor with tank water?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little different setup than mine but if you are pulling water out at the top then eventually all the air should evacuate if your not putting air in somewhere else. Not sure I understand your statement on the effluent. Do you mean you have one drop per second? If you are using a peristaltic Kamoer then you don't use a gate valve or needle valve to control effluent.

How are you feeding the reactor with tank water?
This is how I have it set up, see pic.
1=out to sump, note, gate valve is fully open
2=CO2 in
3=in from sump via kamoer peristaltic pump

PXL_20201005_034506519~2.jpg

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your last statement has me wondering, should I be pulling the effluent from the top with the kamoer? Then the feed line just sits in the sump?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's correct. Water in from the tank at 3 and out back to the tank at 1.

You can run the Kamoer either push water into 3 or pull water out of 1. Many use the pull method with a peristaltic pump. Yes gate valve should be fully open so there are no restrictions on the peristaltic pump lines. There are different ways of tweaking the Kamoer and CO2 via effluent flow and CO2 injection. You are using a bubble counter so a standard pressure regulator on the CO2 tank?

How were you dosing Alk previously? There are calculators for getting a rough idea how to tweak the CaRX

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait another day or two to see if the micro air bubbles go away. If you are not pushing a lot of water through the reactor they may hang out for a while before they exit with the effluent. I have a pretty low demand on my tank right now and only move 26ml/min through my reactor.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that's correct. Water in from the tank at 3 and out back to the tank at 1.

You can run the Kamoer either push water into 3 or pull water out of 1. Many use the pull method with a peristaltic pump. Yes gate valve should be fully open so there are no restrictions on the peristaltic pump lines. There are different ways of tweaking the Kamoer and CO2 via effluent flow and CO2 injection. You are using a bubble counter so a standard pressure regulator on the CO2 tank?

How were you dosing Alk previously? There are calculators for getting a rough idea how to tweak the CaRX
It's a new tank setup, so I wasn't dosing before. Just starting with 1 bps on the CO2 then test alk again the next day. I'm using a carbon doser regulator.

I'll try setting up the pull method and see if the air goes away.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok carbon doser makes it easier. 1 bubble/second seems like a lot for a new tank. What's the pressure reading on the low side gage? I have 5psi and run 1 bubble every 9 seconds

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s waaaay too much CO2 for the low 5 ml/min effluent rate that you’re running. The air buildup that you’re seeing is due to excess CO2.

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think based on your pressure gauge, bubble count and flow rate you were probably getting a really low pH in the chamber too and were seeing CO2 as the water couldn't hold any more after a point.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think air is definitely coming in from somewhere...

I ran the circulation pump all night while I slept (8hrs) and ran the kamoer at 140ml/min. I had the CO2 turned off the entire time.

The video is from this morning. No noticeable difference in air/bubbles/sound

What should I check next?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is you don’t have the air obstructing flow like you did before. You may just have air in the reactor that needs to purge, but even if it doesn’t, it’s not enough to stop the pump like before. Yours right now is basically how mine has been running for years. I agree though. You need closer to 25+ ml/min effluent or gas will eventually build back up

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have much demand, I would start out slow.. maybe 5-10ml/min with 1 bubble every
I think air is definitely coming in from somewhere...

I ran the circulation pump all night while I slept (8hrs) and ran the kamoer at 140ml/min. I had the CO2 turned off the entire time.

The video is from this morning. No noticeable difference in air/bubbles/sound

What should I check next?

Yep quite a few bubbles there. I would start with the 1/4" tubing connections since all 3 are on the suction side of the pump. Check the ends of all the tubes for scratches, grooves, damage that could allow air past the o ring in the fitting. Then check the o rings to make sure they are not damaged. Finally make sure they are inserted all the way in when you put them back together. I would also double check all the union fittings that connect the pipe to the reactor and to the pump and make sure the o rings are in place properly and not damaged. Some of those connections are also on the suction side.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 128 48.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.1%
Back