Shout out to Randy! Refractometer calibration thanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter lawnerd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lawnerd

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 30, 2025
Messages
24
Reaction score
41
Location
Rhinelander, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer whose instructions called for calibration with RODI water, which I did.

I recently read Randy’s post on salinity, making a salt standard at S35, and calibration with the standard. I did so, and the salinity readings were very different based on this calibration. A three point difference - the RODI calibration was reading the standard as S38!

The recalibrated refractometer now reads the standard at S35 and RODI reads way below the zero point on the scale. Nevertheless, I just ordered a different refractometer because I don’t fully trust the one I have given the range of the scale isn’t correctly reading pure water.

Lesson learned, don’t cheap out on your tools.
 
In general terms - if you do a single calibration close to the expected value - you should trust these readings. I always calibrate with 35 ppt - not RODI water. A single calibration can never give you the slope of the calibration curve - just that your reading is likely to be true around the calibration point. If you have done a correct calibration solution of 35 ppt - and then reads 35 ppt on your water - trust that you are around that number

Sincerely Lasse
 
It is normal and expected for a brine refractometer to be off at 0 ppt when properly calibrated at 35 ppt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new