show me your DIY plywood stands

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank, a 60g cube, rode a plywood stand that I was quite proud of. Still does, as far as I know, I sold it as a unit...

I bought a 4" thick solid poplar board, and used that to cut 4 corner posts. Rabbited them out and glued in the plywood sides. Solid poplar around the door opening and the door itself...

Stand1.jpg

Since the stand was over-sized, and I didn't want to worry about bowing, I did a cross brace under the top. This shows construction details...
BraceDetail.jpg

Painted it flat black, and had my daughter do the top in a mosaic tile.
Mosaic1.jpg

Coated the inside with white marine epoxy. Lots more room in there than there would have been had I made it the same size as the tank.
OpenStand.jpg

With the cost of lumber these days, it wasn't cheap, but it worked out fine. Strong enough to double as a stool for an elephant. Eventually, I found the small cube insufficient. Too much restriction in fish selection... and I'm an old man. I couldn't stand to work from my knees any more. My new system is 150g or so, on a powder coated steel stand, and uses a closet re-purposed as a sump room.

NineAndAhalf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on building my stand now. The frame is 2x4 screwed together then finished off with 1/2" birch plywood. I wanted it to be solid as a rock, that's why I chose to build the 2x4 frame to hold the weight. I will be finishing off with doors this weekend. They will be 1x4 poplar ripped down to probably 2.5" and glued to make a frame with a panel insert once dried. Side compartments will have shelves for storage.

20180128_165831.jpg

20180128_165852.jpg

20180109_191935.jpg

NineAndAhalf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" birch front(That's two pieces on the front) and sides, 3/4" regular plywood on the bottom, back and top. Used kreg jig and glue, solid as a rock and tons of room.

20170504_180416.jpg

Now I kinda wish I went this route... There's so much room for activities in there :|

caver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow they all look great gives me some ideas for my next stand

rshober

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I love this. just what I was looking for! do you have plans?
Sorry, I don't have any plans. You cam YouTube ADA style aquarium stand to get some ideas though. This is the only photo I took during assembly.

received_10209633663502293.jpeg

Holdbar7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood is awesome, but steel last forever. And is much more forgiving to work with!

My 92gal corner. Not sure if I'm going to make doors, or just display the sump..
20171201_174618.jpg
20171130_165958.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood is awesome, but steel last forever.

Yup. I don't weld... I guess I can weld well enough to fix a broken brace on a piece of farm equipment, but not well enough to do this kind of thing. Anyway, I had a steel stand built to my spec for my 140g system, and had it sand blasted and powder coated. I still figure it cost me less than the lumber I was going to have to buy to build a nice plywood stand. I'll probably never build another wooden stand for a larger tank.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I priced out a steel stand for a 36x24 -90 gal it was pretty $$ where I live.

for this project I want a nice looks simple stand for a 40br. :D

Last edited:

Holdbar7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I priced out a steel stand for a 36x24 -90 gal it was pretty $$ where I live.

That's probably around $65 in steel. If you lived near me I'd fab you one up for a decent price!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably around $65 in steel. If you lived near me I'd fab you one up for a decent price!
Therein lies the rub...

1 sheet of decent 3/4" plywood is well over $50. Want some 4" oak for trimming doors, bracing, etc? $2.50 a foot. Good quality treated wood screws? $5 a pound. For my 140, I was figuring $700 worth of materials to build the stand I designed. Powder coated steel was cheaper, even having someone else do the work, and you _know_ it's going to hold up long term.

On a smaller tank? That's probably less true. The most cost effective stand for a smaller tank may be repurposing a thrift store cabinet... I've seen several very nice examples of that sort of thing around here.

Holdbar7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therein lies the rub...

1 sheet of decent 3/4" plywood is well over $50. Want some 4" oak for trimming doors, bracing, etc? $2.50 a foot. Good quality treated wood screws? $5 a pound. For my 140, I was figuring $700 worth of materials to build the stand I designed. Powder coated steel was cheaper, even having someone else do the work, and you _know_ it's going to hold up long term.

On a smaller tank? That's probably less true. The most cost effective stand for a smaller tank may be repurposing a thrift store cabinet... I've seen several very nice examples of that sort of thing around here.

True, price coupled with my inexperience in woodworking but decent metal experience made steel an easy choice. But for smaller tanks i think repurposing a used cabinet could be awesome.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back