Show me your experiences with difficult fish to keep or expert only fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that Janss pipe only eats frozen mysis. He tried a live worm a few times but spit it out. (as I would to) ;Vomit

He also won't eat pieces of clam or anything else so I have to keep feeding mysis. My copperband and long nose also eat mysis but they eat clams and worms also as all the rest of my fish do.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a bslw for about 2 years. Then had some dinos set in. The bslw disappear for 6 months without a trace only to reappear for about 5 days to die. Wouldn't eat, stomach was very pinched.
I was told they are very sensitive to dinos.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a bslw for about 2 years. Then had some dinos set in. The bslw disappear for 6 months without a trace only to reappear for about 5 days to die. Wouldn't eat, stomach was very pinched.
I was told they are very sensitive to dinos.
Yeah, they can be which is annoying. I’m glad I’m just suffering cyano at the moment though

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse,
Macropharyngodon bipartitus here’s an image of my 1” juvie - Shes really a jewel, A lot of wrasse and fish such as the CBB often have their names Abriviated because they’re so long and it’s easier to remember ‘BSLW’ than Blue Star Leopard wrasse - Also it’s a better name for people out of the country because each country calls them different things, in the UK they get called peacock wrasse
image.jpg

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband butterfly, a blue stripe pipefish, and a leopard wrasse.

The CBB butterfly is by far the pickiest. He will only eat LRS reef frenzy but he eats a ton of it. I usually hand feed it to him so I make sure he gets enough. I made sure to see him eat in the store though so he basically ate in my tank right away once I figured out he only wanted LRS. I’ve had him for about 6 months.

The leopard wrasse will eat anything I add to the tank. Right now, she eats frozen, pellets, and some live when I supplement with hatched baby brine. Again, I made sure to see her eat in the store before buying her. I’ve had her for about 9 months.

The blue stripe pipefish eats frozen. Even with his small mouth, he can eat pieces of mysis but definitely prefers smaller foods. I’m pretty sure he hunts in the rocks all day because I really only see him when I’m feeding. He also likes live baby brine shrimp. He’s in a mixed reef but is a great swimmer. He came in the tank I bought and has been in captivity for around 2 years now.

In my experience, only buying healthy fish that eat in the store is a key. I did buy one leopard back when I didn’t know what I was doing with a pinched head/neck. Although she was an aggressive eater, she didn’t make it.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the abbreviations of several fish but bslw was new to me, I prefer on several occasions to call the fish with the scientific name, here in Mexico for example, sometimes the common names are quite ridiculous lol.
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse,
Macropharyngodon bipartitus here’s an image of my 1” juvie - Shes really a jewel, A lot of wrasse and fish such as the CBB often have their names Abriviated because they’re so long and it’s easier to remember ‘BSLW’ than Blue Star Leopard wrasse - Also it’s a better name for people out of the country because each country calls them different things, in the UK they get called peacock wrasse
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the abbreviations of several fish but bslw was new to me, I prefer on several occasions to call the fish with the scientific name, here in Mexico for example, sometimes the common names are quite ridiculous lol.
Yeah, scientific names are a lot easier for me until it’s a predatory fish’s scientific name

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The CBB butterfly is by far the pickiest. He will only eat LRS reef frenzy but he eats a ton of it. I usually hand feed it to him so I make sure he gets enough. I made sure to see him eat in the store though so he basically ate in my tank right away once I figured out he only wanted LRS. I’ve had him for about 6 months.

The leopard wrasse will eat anything I add to the tank. Right now, she eats frozen, pellets, and some live when I supplement with hatched baby brine. Again, I made sure to see her eat in the store before buying her. I’ve had her for about 9 months.

The blue stripe pipefish eats frozen. Even with his small mouth, he can eat pieces of mysis but definitely prefers smaller foods. I’m pretty sure he hunts in the rocks all day because I really only see him when I’m feeding. He also likes live baby brine shrimp. He’s in a mixed reef but is a great swimmer. He came in the tank I bought and has been in captivity for around 2 years now.

In my experience, only buying healthy fish that eat in the store is a key. I did buy one leopard back when I didn’t know what I was doing with a pinched head/neck. Although she was an aggressive eater, she didn’t make it.
My dream leopard is the black leopard.. Although I started with the blue star to hopefully be prepared when I take a black on

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that buying healthy fish up front is the key, if only I could buy fish from the divers den. From what I have read, the CBB has many success stories, I wanted to try one but I consider C. marginalis a prettier fish.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream leopard is the black leopard.. Although I started with the blue star to hopefully be prepared when I take a black on
I love black leopards too. I keep waiting for my LFS to bring another in but at this point I’m worried my current tank inhabitants might be too aggressive for a brand new one.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that buying healthy fish up front is the key, if only I could buy fish from the divers den. From what I have read, the CBB has many success stories, I wanted to try one but I consider C. marginalis a prettier fish.
Those are pretty, I’ve never seen them before!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Marginalis is actually the fish I was looking at before going with my CBB.. I wish I could get a C. marginalis again though, and in my experience the margined butterflies are easier than CBBs. I had one but it died in the bucket over night - The tank had an ammonia spike so it had to be in the bucket and not the bag or tank. Unfortunately the heater wasn’t plugged in and killed the fish. If my CBB was to die I would love another - Obviously I’d wait for natural causes to pass by

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have 7 leopard Wrasses.....3 blue stars, melegris, black, kuiters, and moyers. I also have a China Wrasse which is an Anampses. Also a ear muff wrasse. I don't QT my fish. No issues with any fish. All my wrasses eat frozen from day 1. My Melegris was only 1/2 inch when I got him, now he is 4 inches. All my leopards including the China wrasse I have had 2-3 years. IMO QT a difficult fish is a mistake. I think putting them in a healthy Established tank when you bring them home tips the odds in your favor. That's just my 2 cents. Of course make sure you get a healthy specimen at your LFS. Sorry for the bad pics. LOL!

IMG_20201227_145045.jpg 20210503_150530.jpg 20210530_171820.jpg 20210503_150534.jpg 20210503_150605.jpg

Last edited:

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried my luck with a blue star leopard wrasse and unfortunately never ate anything and eventually starved itself. RIP!.

However I have a copperband butterflyfish and current having a win, had for around 6 weeks now and absolutely smashes the Mussels every 3rd day and every other day takes in large chunks of frozen mysis and has just started pecking at some liquid mysis veg. Also seen it chase around some pellets. Starting to fatten up so real happy with its progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have 7 leopard Wrasses.....3 blue stars, melegris, black, kuiters, and moyers. I also have a China Wrasse which is an Anampses. Also a ear muff wrasse. I don't QT my fish. No issues with any fish. All my wrasses eat frozen from day 1. My Melegris was only 1/2 inch when I got him, now he is 4 inches. All my leopards including the China wrasse I have had 2-3 years. IMO QT a difficult fish is a mistake. I think putting them in a healthy Established tank when you bring them home tips the odds in your favor. That's just my 2 cents. Of course make sure you get a healthy specimen at your LFS. Sorry for the bad pics. LOL!

IMG_20201227_145045.jpg 20210503_150530.jpg 20210530_171820.jpg 20210503_150534.jpg 20210503_150605.jpg
That's a nice reef and one of the biggest blue linckia stars I've ever seen, what is its size? Congratulations on all those labrids, I love Anampses neoguinaicus.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my cbb for over a year. I feed him 1 cube a day and whatever is broadcast in the tank. He holds his own against the tangs lol. I haven't had any troubles with him and I love his personality. The dude can eat though, and he almost never stops.
Another couple of success stories with CBB, to be honest I'm glad that these fish thrive in aquarists' tanks, it's great that they have that personality even against tangs, good job.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’ve got the tank I’d love, and honestly I aggressive with this - My Blue star is an 1” big and came out of the sand instantly the next day, she also ate frozen instantly

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another couple of success stories with CBB, to be honest I'm glad that these fish thrive in aquarists' tanks, it's great that they have that personality even against tangs, good job.
It’s annoying when people say they’re ‘Hard to keep’ because they really aren’t when you get the right specimen, same with any of the wrasse such as A. femininus - A dream wrasse of mine with the most money on its price tag too haha. I’m a complete freak for the wrasse and it started with just a Jade and Lubbock fairy.. I now have 8 wrasse total
2 of them are ‘Expert only’ fish which is complete BS - My two beg for food whenever they’re out. I will admit the Leopard hangs out in the back of the nano most of the time, She does come to the front - I only got her last weekend and knew she was eating, still no issues.
The radiant however, Expert only my *** they’re bad shippers yes, get one from the LFS that’s already eating and been in there a week if you can and it’s fine.

Last edited:
Back