Show me your mounted Apex controller!!!

Jim Bonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the stand of an Oceanic BioCube 29. I'm in control systems engineering. We usually build an enclosure with a false back and make several rows of finger channel for wire management. When I build my 120 gallon into my wall I'll do that in the sump room but for now I did something similar in my BC29 stand.

What you can't really see here is that there are 4 wire paths on the back of the tank leading to the different chambers. I've put in extra attention to making sure AC and DC (including probe signal wires) never run parallel but instead cross each other at 90*. I think this is often overlooked and could cause issues in signaling at a minimum.

BC29-0006.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield that's a classy setup there!
Why are you using an EB8 outlet for the iPad? Is there conditional code associated with that outlet for the iPad?

LOL, I was wondering if someone would ask me about that! I simply needed a spot to plug it into and I had two empty spots on the EB8. The surge protector that the EB8 is plugged into also has an EB4 plugged into it and 5 Primes... so there wasn't any extra room on the surge protector.

Last edited:

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex is install is spread across a pretty large setup and is pretty much all mounted out of site below two tanks and also out in my life support shed. This is an custom cylinder tank install I did about 10 days ago.

I still need to install the LED lights once they get their canopy and stand covering done which is about 4weeks out. Also need to clean up the wires in the sump shed. I was too tired to monkey with that when I was done with the install. I will do that when I go back to install the LED's once their canopy is done.

The controller board I made attaches to the steel stand with magnets. The top row on the board contains 2 VDM modules and an LSM. There are 4 Tunze 6255 controllers mounted to the board those. All are controlled by one of the VDM's. The 2nd VDM is for the Reef Brite XHO LED's that will eventually illuminate this display.
image_zpse1lnmcjb.jpeg

image_zpsnomadrh6.jpeg

image_zpskhcxhfdj.jpeg

There is obviously a lot going on in the shed. An EB8 and EB4 provide the power and control for the return pump, skimmer, chiller, heaters, algae scrubber, UV Sterilzer, ATO Pump, ventilation fans and more. The Apex acts as the failsafe for the heaters and chiller which also have dedicated controllers. There is also a PM1 in the shed to provide I/O ports for the custom breakout box and also an ALD module for the leak detection. When I buried the lines in the ground for this system, we ran an extra 1.5" line between the shed and display for the Aquabus cable between the tank and shed as well as an ALD sensor extension for leak detection under the display.
image_zpsljctjdxz.jpeg

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in the stand of an Oceanic BioCube 29. I'm in control systems engineering. We usually build an enclosure with a false back and make several rows of finger channel for wire management. When I build my 120 gallon into my wall I'll do that in the sump room but for now I did something similar in my BC29 stand.

What you can't really see here is that there are 4 wire paths on the back of the tank leading to the different chambers. I've put in extra attention to making sure AC and DC (including probe signal wires) never run parallel but instead cross each other at 90*. I think this is often overlooked and could cause issues in signaling at a minimum.

BC29-0006.jpg
Where did u get those things to hide the wires from? Thanks

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BC29-0006.jpg
Where did u get those things to hide the wires from? Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back