Show me your REALISTIC Reef tank (No blue light, no Purple rock, No frag rack, No neon color)

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7553.jpeg

Rebooted my 90 gal. by adding sand and removing some excess rock for more swim space…
Love that grown in wall gap. That's the kind of reef I was looking for when I entered this thread.

The only other thing that makes me sad is not one of the shots so far has included any macroalgae that I could see. You guys need some sea grasses in your life.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that grown in wall gap. That's the kind of reef I was looking for when I entered this thread.

The only other thing that makes me sad is not one of the shots so far has included any macroalgae that I could see. You guys need some sea grasses in your life.
Tangs & rabbitfish keep a lot of the macroalgae out of the display. It's food, lol. I had a previous fowlr tank with lots of it, but it needs to grow massive before you add the fish and they tear it apart.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs & rabbitfish keep a lot of the macroalgae out of the display. It's food, lol. I had a previous fowlr tank with lots of it, but it needs to grow massive before you add the fish and they tear it apart.
Indeed. However there must be a balance that can be struck? I have no idea if such animals are literally insatiable against their own good or if they'll back off if fed well enough.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had loads of Macro in the tank, red and green and several different species of both, my Turbo's ate all of it... I still have Hayi in my refugium, and I am considering trying to put some blue hypnea in the display, I just hope it doesn't get eaten too... I'll be getting some shaving brush, pinecone, and christmas tree when it's the season, and possibly a mermaid fan or two... I love Macro in the display... but I think I am going to have to stick to more calcareous species...

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had loads of Macro in the tank, red and green and several different species of both, my Turbo's ate all of it... I still have Hayi in my refugium, and I am considering trying to put some blue hypnea in the display, I just hope it doesn't get eaten too... I'll be getting some shaving brush, pinecone, and christmas tree when it's the season, and possibly a mermaid fan or two... I love Macro in the display... but I think I am going to have to stick to more calcareous species...
I have heard that indeed turbos are the devil. You might need to switch them up for dove snails which I believe are macro friendly.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed. However there must be a balance that can be struck? I have no idea if such animals are literally insatiable against their own good or if they'll back off if fed well enough.
You must of never owned either types of fish, end game is it won't work. The fish doesn't care, it's gonna eat it, lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Decades ago, blue really wasnt a thing and I remember going a few years using florescent shop lights and had no problem with corals and anemones

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago, blue really wasnt a thing and I remember going a few years using florescent shop lights and had no problem with corals and anemones
Will indeed that's all you need! My mind has been thoroughly boggled at how this hobby has standardized $2k+ worth of lights as normal.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will indeed that's all you need! My mind has been thoroughly boggled at how this hobby has standardized $2k+ worth of lights as normal.
Yep, insane. The lights did just fine back then, if not better

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's even blue in the ocean
romance swimming GIF by Hallmark Channel
I think what people don’t realize is that they think it’s windex blue in the ocean because there’s always a blue back drop. That blue back drop is due to looking through miles of ocean expanse. Anything up close in front of you is not blue.

Tanks with a blue background and 10k lighting will achieve that very natural look like we see in pictures of wild reefscapes.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20k metal halides and t5s
1000000532.jpg

Attachments

• 1000000373.jpg
    1000000373.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 19

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what people don’t realize is that they think it’s windex blue in the ocean because there’s always a blue back drop. That blue back drop is due to looking through miles of ocean expanse. Anything up close in front of you is not blue.

Tanks with a blue background and 10k lighting will achieve that very natural look like we see in pictures of wild reefscapes.
This is what I’m getting at:

IMG_3170.png

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This aquascape coming up on 2 years, had this tank since 2017

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back