Show off those chunky tangs

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of tanks with wafer thin tangs swimming around in them lately. Anyone who's swam on a natural reef knows tangs in nature are actually pretty thick bodied. I think some people have a different perception because by the time purchase a tang, it likely hasn't been eating well for several weeks. This is a pic of a naso tang swimming on a reef in Hawaii:
image-asset.jpeg

I know I'm not alone in my goal to keep my tangs looking like they do in nature.... thick and chunky. So let's see those healthy chunky tangs!
Here are a few of mine
DSC_1433v_sm.jpg
DSC_1417v_sm.jpg
DSC_1420v_sm.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tangs, but perhaps even more, nice Bannerfish! Recently I made a heartbreaking decision to not have the Bannerfish and instead have a trio of Yellow Pyramids instead because my LFS only has the Longfin in stock, the non reef friendly variety. I sort of envy you lol, especially with a large tank you can keep a trio or more.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some really nice Tangs. I think the secret to keeping them plump is to feed them a lot of high quality herbivore foods.

-Nori strips

-Formula 2 Pellets

-Spirulina Flakes

-Hikari Seaweed Extreme

-Hikari Mega Marine Algae

-Hikari Algae Wafers

Stuff like this.

The Naso and Vlamingii Tangs look really cool, especially the Vlamingii, but I know they get huge. For these more active fish I am not too comfortable having them in a tank where they cannot swim at least 7 body lengths back and forth, 8 better...... Maybe I’m being too conservative.

Maybe one day I will try a Naso if I can have a 10 foot tank, and a Vlamingii if I can have a 16 foot tank. xD

For now I’ll be sticking to a Yellow.

OP
OP
Reeffraff

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the secret to keeping them plump is to feed them a lot of high quality herbivore foods.

Definitely. These fish literally graze from dawn till dusk in nature.
There was a question of the day poll a little while back on how frequently people provide nori/other algae based foods to their tangs

I was really surprised to see that over 60% of tang owners feed algae based foods less than once a day! I feed a big sheet of nori twice a day and sometimes I feel that isn't enough.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Meaty Thick Tangs too but my picture taking skills aren't the best. My latest addition was a convict tang who is on the skinnier side. He's been eating like a pig so I would think he'll get fat pretty soon too. He was actually my 5th or 6th try …. all previous convicts didn't make it past quarantine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back