Show off those chunky tangs

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of tanks with wafer thin tangs swimming around in them lately. Anyone who's swam on a natural reef knows tangs in nature are actually pretty thick bodied. I think some people have a different perception because by the time purchase a tang, it likely hasn't been eating well for several weeks. This is a pic of a naso tang swimming on a reef in Hawaii:
image-asset.jpeg

I know I'm not alone in my goal to keep my tangs looking like they do in nature.... thick and chunky. So let's see those healthy chunky tangs!
Here are a few of mine
DSC_1433v_sm.jpg
DSC_1417v_sm.jpg
DSC_1420v_sm.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tangs, but perhaps even more, nice Bannerfish! Recently I made a heartbreaking decision to not have the Bannerfish and instead have a trio of Yellow Pyramids instead because my LFS only has the Longfin in stock, the non reef friendly variety. I sort of envy you lol, especially with a large tank you can keep a trio or more.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some really nice Tangs. I think the secret to keeping them plump is to feed them a lot of high quality herbivore foods.

-Nori strips

-Formula 2 Pellets

-Spirulina Flakes

-Hikari Seaweed Extreme

-Hikari Mega Marine Algae

-Hikari Algae Wafers

Stuff like this.

The Naso and Vlamingii Tangs look really cool, especially the Vlamingii, but I know they get huge. For these more active fish I am not too comfortable having them in a tank where they cannot swim at least 7 body lengths back and forth, 8 better...... Maybe I’m being too conservative.

Maybe one day I will try a Naso if I can have a 10 foot tank, and a Vlamingii if I can have a 16 foot tank. xD

For now I’ll be sticking to a Yellow.

OP
OP
Reeffraff

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the secret to keeping them plump is to feed them a lot of high quality herbivore foods.

Definitely. These fish literally graze from dawn till dusk in nature.
There was a question of the day poll a little while back on how frequently people provide nori/other algae based foods to their tangs

I was really surprised to see that over 60% of tang owners feed algae based foods less than once a day! I feed a big sheet of nori twice a day and sometimes I feel that isn't enough.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some Meaty Thick Tangs too but my picture taking skills aren't the best. My latest addition was a convict tang who is on the skinnier side. He's been eating like a pig so I would think he'll get fat pretty soon too. He was actually my 5th or 6th try …. all previous convicts didn't make it past quarantine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back