Show off your ANGLER FISH!

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those fresh water guppies you gave him?

Yes, I still need to order better food for him. I had to work with what one of my LFS had on hand. Didn't want to shell out a bunch of money on food in case he didn't make it through shipping.

I offered him some live adult brine, guppy fry and a small ghost shrimp. Only thing he had interest in was the fry.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's Reggie. UPS was a little late showing up, box was a bit chilly but he seems none the worse for wear.

I missed his first fishing attempt on video. Thought I was recording but was to excited and fascinated watching him do his thing to hit the button. I did have it recording the second time (during feeding time).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4kQtQsV5YRydRYrU9

He took two small guppy fry that I fed some Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and some Formula 2 flake to. Gave them about 45 minutes to chow down then in they went. He had absolutely no interest in live adult brine or ghost shrimp.

Also, the small yellowtail blue damsel (who is 1.5x his size) is afraid of him.

His first fishing attempt was very classy. The second (in the video)...not so much.

20181207_205343.jpg

20181207_205034.jpg

View attachment 20181207_205650.jpg

20181207_183929.jpg

20181207_133408.jpg

20181207_133346.jpg
Very cool!! I'm glad he made the trip alive and well. If he is eating already that's a great sign.

Learn from my mistakes, you don't need to feed every day. When they are babies like yours I would feed a small amount every other. As they get larger every 3-4 days. I killed my first warty by overfeeding. I think you would be hard pressed to kill a angler by under feeding, unless you go extreme.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I still need to order better food for him. I had to work with what one of my LFS had on hand. Didn't want to shell out a bunch of money on food in case he didn't make it through shipping.

I offered him some live adult brine, guppy fry and a small ghost shrimp. Only thing he had interest in was the fry.
I love the foot positions. They are little contortionists!
20180107_173856.jpeg

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!! I'm glad he made the trip alive and well. If he is eating already that's a great sign.

Learn from my mistakes, you don't need to feed every day. When they are babies like yours I would feed a small amount every other. As they get larger every 3-4 days. I killed my first warty by overfeeding. I think you would be hard pressed to kill a angler by under feeding, unless you go extreme.

Yeah, I plan to be cautious about feedings. I'm keeping an eye on his belly and looking to see if he's fishing or not. The two guppy fry weren't all that small so I don't think he'll need anything else for a little bit.

I appreciate any advice you guys want to send my way. This is all new to me.

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had your fish Jasonrusso ?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your fish Jasonrusso ?
I've had an angler for 7 years. The first was a warty I had for about 2 years. Like I said , don't overfeed. I see pictures now and I see how bloated he was. The food rots in their stomach because they have a slow metabolism. I thought I was doing good by feeding when he was fishing, but that was likely his downfall.

The second was a coinbearing angler. I had him for 3 years. He was thriving (but very boring, he hid ALOT) until a nasty velvet outbreak got him.

My black painted angler I have had for about 2 years. Like I said, you learn from mistakes. He fishes all the time, but I know better. Be strong, these guys can live for a month without eating, but fish are opportunists.

2018-10-23_09-22-26.jpeg

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41F500AC-B0B3-4A96-B6EF-67815FF7BF86.jpeg

You will love him! I miss my little guy. My painted was slightly bigger than the warty and started picking on him a lot. He’s no longer swimming the reef. But I couldn’t part with him, too pretty! So he’s preserved in a jar now
What type of liquid is he preserved in?

Captain_Glass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife saw this angler when we went to look for a torch and some dry goods and she had to have it. She named him rocko and she didn’t know how he ate until we got home and he gobbled up a ghost shrimp in the blink of an eye. Now he just chills on the rocks. Eats his ghost shrimp and I got a buddy pic with this tuxedo urchin right next to him today.

4A29D73F-FB84-4555-933A-12EFC2454DD6.jpeg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metallic green hairy mushroom. He usually camps out in a few specific spots though. Next to the big Derasa clam, under the toadstool or behind the acans.
Oh, so he's real small. Now I see the frag plug on the left. They are born with the hunting instinct.

I always wonder what tiny anglers and lions eat when first born. I don't think that an angler is stalking prey at 3 days old

Captain_Glass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my mantis died my wife wanted the ugly duckling posted above lol so we bring it home and this dude couldn’t be more than 2”. I had a damsel and a couple chromis in there that survived a peacock mantis shrimp, she didn’t really care for fish she just wanted to smash things. But not this guy over night I think he ate 2 chromis. Because they are nowhere to be found, checked filter which would’ve been impossible for them to get into, checked the entire room to see if they were jumpers, and the only logical conclusion is that rocko ate them.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the two that I have. They are in two 5 gallon tanks for now that's going to be a macroalgae display tank with a few corals. I just bought a red wartwart angler that I'll take a picture of later tonight and post on here as well.

IMG_20190402_102926.jpg

IMG_20190401_140259.jpg

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back