Show off your ANGLER FISH!

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea so far so good no signs of aggression towards each other what so ever I doubt they will mate but you never know

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind if I post, but here's the Wartskin Angler from my NPS tank. He's such a ham!

IMG_8503.JPG

IMG_8766.JPG

IMG_8767.JPG
Randy,
How big are these guys supposed to get? I have been doing research, but I am finding answers all over the book from 3” to about 12”.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
How big are these guys supposed to get? I have been doing research, but I am finding answers all over the book from 3” to about 12”.
Wartskin about 3." Painted about 4."

If you get an "assorted angler" on Live Aquaria or an orange angler, those get big. I've seen a 10" angler, and I could probably fit my fist in it's mouth.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41F500AC-B0B3-4A96-B6EF-67815FF7BF86.jpeg
Haven't seen him in person yet, but here's the Diver's Den photo of the little guy I picked up last night. He'll be here tomorrow morning.

IMG_20181205_181223_261.jpg

You will love him! I miss my little guy. My painted was slightly bigger than the warty and started picking on him a lot. He’s no longer swimming the reef. But I couldn’t part with him, too pretty! So he’s preserved in a jar now

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen him in person yet, but here's the Diver's Den photo of the little guy I picked up last night. He'll be here tomorrow morning.

IMG_20181205_181223_261.jpg
Awesome!! He looks like a baby (no warts yet) so he will likely be tiny. I suggest ordering (or buying at the LFS if they have some) live brine shrimp. You can keep them in a fishbowl with an air stone. You just scoop out a bunch and put them in. He will do the rest. It's hard to stick feed them when they are that small as there is nothing small enough to feed them!!

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41F500AC-B0B3-4A96-B6EF-67815FF7BF86.jpeg

You will love him! I miss my little guy. My painted was slightly bigger than the warty and started picking on him a lot. He’s no longer swimming the reef. But I couldn’t part with him, too pretty! So he’s preserved in a jar now

Looks like he was beautiful when he was swimming. I wonder if you could get a replica of him made.

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! He looks like a baby (no warts yet) so he will likely be tiny. I suggest ordering (or buying at the LFS if they have some) live brine shrimp. You can keep them in a fishbowl with an air stone. You just scoop out a bunch and put them in. He will do the rest. It's hard to stick feed them when they are that small as there is nothing small enough to feed them!!

I plan to try and get a couple small ghosties or some guppy/molly babies to give him initially. I was planning to buy some live brine next week from Live Aquaria. Once he's bigger the plan was to feed live marine feeder shrimp.

I don't think I want to switch him over to dead foods. I've read they don't do well after the switch and I want to retain as much of his natural behavior as possible.

Any recommendations on what to gut load with?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to try and get a couple small ghosties or some guppy/molly babies to give him initially. I was planning to buy some live brine next week from Live Aquaria. Once he's bigger the plan was to feed live marine feeder shrimp.

I don't think I want to switch him over to dead foods. I've read they don't do well after the switch and I want to retain as much of his natural behavior as possible.

I'd buy the brine from someone like livebrineshrimp.com. You get a lot and it's pretty affordable.

I was buying the grass shrimp (ghost are fresh water) from them, but I was getting a lot of losses. I recently ordered from a guy on eBay, and I have been very happy with those.

As far as gut loading, I was putting vitachem in the brine shrimp and I feed the grass shrimp (in their own 10 gallon) NLS small pellets an hour before.

Before you condemn stick feeding, I stick feed primarily, and feed live as a treat to my lion, puffer, and angler. The angler is actually always active. He swims a lot and never really stays in the same place. Watch my videos earlier in this thread and you can see how poor of a hunter he is. He would be dead without stick feeding. He does get live shrimp from time to time.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had them that small before, you can find ghosties small enough or guppies or molly fry like you said. He'll really have to pack away some brine shrimp.

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy the brine from someone like livebrineshrimp.com. You get a lot and it's pretty affordable.

I was buying the grass shrimp (ghost are fresh water) from them, but I was getting a lot of losses. I recently ordered from a guy on eBay, and I have been very happy with those.

As far as gut loading, I was putting vitachem in the brine shrimp and I feed the grass shrimp (in their own 10 gallon) NLS small pellets an hour before.

Before you condemn stick feeding, I stick feed primarily, and feed live as a treat to my lion, puffer, and angler. The angler is actually always active. He swims a lot and never really stays in the same place. Watch my videos earlier in this thread and you can see how poor of a hunter he is. He would be dead without stick feeding. He does get live shrimp from time to time.

This guy (He's already named Reggie) will be the only fish in the tank. I've got a 10g nano reef set up just for him and will be upgrading him to a 20L that I plan to plumb into my main 60g down the road. Would being the only inhabitant change the outcome of hunting or are they just that poor at it?

As for the shrimp, I had seen that site and had planned to order from them. The ghosties and fry were temporary as that's what I have available locally. I didn't want to shell out money on food in the event that there's an issue in transit. It is cold as hell here in the Northeast right now. Fingers crossed that nothing will happen, but I like to play it safe.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy (He's already named Reggie) will be the only fish in the tank. I've got a 10g nano reef set up just for him and will be upgrading him to a 20L that I plan to plumb into my main 60g down the road. Would being the only inhabitant change the outcome of hunting or are they just that poor at it?

As for the shrimp, I had seen that site and had planned to order from them. The ghosties and fry were temporary as that's what I have available locally. I didn't want to shell out money on food in the event that there's an issue in transit. It is cold as hell here in the Northeast right now. Fingers crossed that nothing will happen, but I like to play it safe.
I'm in Massachusetts, so I know how cold it is, lol.

These are the grass shrimp I bought. Like I said, very few losses and they are a good size. Some small ones as well. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163339454818

If he is alone, it may help, but shrimp are fast and smart. The lion fish is a MUCH better hunter and doesn't miss.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was an inch when I got him, I would turn off the pump, find the tiniest ghostie I could find, and used a feeding stick to corral him towards the warty. They can handle guppies easily and baby mollies with no problem, I used the feeding stick to corral them as well.

IMG_20160722_214325.jpg

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was an inch when I got him, I would turn off the pump, find the tiniest ghostie I could find, and used a feeding stick to corral him towards the warty. They can handle guppies easily and baby mollies with no problem, I used the feeding stick to corral them as well.

IMG_20160722_214325.jpg

Beautiful frog. I'll keep that in mind.

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's Reggie. UPS was a little late showing up, box was a bit chilly but he seems none the worse for wear.

I missed his first fishing attempt on video. Thought I was recording but was to excited and fascinated watching him do his thing to hit the button. I did have it recording the second time (during feeding time).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4kQtQsV5YRydRYrU9

He took two small guppy fry that I fed some Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes and some Formula 2 flake to. Gave them about 45 minutes to chow down then in they went. He had absolutely no interest in live adult brine or ghost shrimp.

Also, the small yellowtail blue damsel (who is 1.5x his size) is afraid of him.

His first fishing attempt was very classy. The second (in the video)...not so much.

20181207_205343.jpg

20181207_205034.jpg

View attachment 20181207_205650.jpg

20181207_183929.jpg

20181207_133408.jpg

20181207_133346.jpg

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So very cool! I will be following your adventures. I still want to gain some experience before I try my hand at raising one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back