Show off your Tangs

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of a 68g upgrade. I wanted a yellow tang and was told you need at least 55g. I have seen them in smaller tanks which seems too small to me but is 68g ok for (1) Tang? As well as other fish but tangs would be only 1.
I also am assuming a yellow tang is the smallest is that correct? I know they can get big over time but I think they are still smaller than Naso and purple is that true?
Would love to know because I'm going to get one as soon as I if appropriate.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the process of a 68g upgrade. I wanted a yellow tang and was told you need at least 55g. I have seen them in smaller tanks which seems too small to me but is 68g ok for (1) Tang? As well as other fish but tangs would be only 1.
I also am assuming a yellow tang is the smallest is that correct? I know they can get big over time but I think they are still smaller than Naso and purple is that true?
Would love to know because I'm going to get one as soon as I if appropriate.

Yeah smaller than both for certain. Slower growers too.

Buy a small one and if he gets too big sell him. Just my .02

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah smaller than both for certain. Slower growers too.

Buy a small one and if he gets too big sell him. Just my .02

Thanks! Glad I had most of my facts in order! I would hate to give it away if it got to big but I would not keep him in a tank that was too small. I will do it!:):):D

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
571c4d5f6645e11e35af5373bc4de273.jpg
a73d432cc6943a66d946db07b9b32859.jpg
7044e3bd0a6fad36b795ccf00d7296bd.jpg
577cf91662ad773c2faaf14fe29c001f.jpg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Powder Brown Tangs - I actually ordered one with my Naso and they ran out before filling my order. They offered me a deal I couldn't pass up on a Powder Blue so now am scared to add one

Powder blue in my opinion are the most aggressive tang in this hobby. People crown the Sohal constantly but I've never seen a Sohal come close to the aggression PBT display. Some PBT are not aggressive, IME 1/4 are pretty docile, 2/4 are nasty as all heck, and 1 is aggressive but only to newcomers or intermittently.

Powder blue and Achilles in my experience (Achilles odds are usually 1/3 or 1/4 are nasty in my experience) hold permanent grudges. Most tangs will fight new tangs and give them heck for a day or a week. Time and time again I expected PBT and even a couple nasty Achilles I have had over the years to "forgive and forget". It doesn't happen. Once they decide they have a beef, they'll take it to the grave. I've waited months for one to learn to tolerate new additions and it just doesn't happen and ends badly.

My purple tangs, sailfins, naso, hippo, chevrons, Kole, clown, Sohal, Caribbean blue, and several others who were tank bosses or harassed newcomers would eventually get over it and accept new additions - even of the same genus or species! This was NOT in the cards for PBT or the rare nasty Achilles, (who are every bit as bad as the nasty PBT).

You have to replace and try again for any hope.

I added my evil Achilles to a large angel tank with larger dominant tank bosses and more aggressive fish. He left the resident yellow belly hippo tang alone and the emperor angel and passer angel boss fish didn't take any flack from him and didn't allow him to ever assert dominance. I was honestly pleasantly surprised that someone could put this guy in his place.

I've got two moderately to significantly aggressive PBT currently but they were added at the same time as all of my other tangs. I did add a goldrim tang after the fact and they harassed him minimally but with 10 tangs in that qt there's not really opportunity to harass any one fish that much. I've sold evil PBT in the past.

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
Powder blue in my opinion are the most aggressive tang in this hobby. People crown the Sohal constantly but I've never seen a Sohal come close to the aggression PBT display. Some PBT are not aggressive, IME 1/4 are pretty docile, 2/4 are nasty as all heck, and 1 is aggressive but only to newcomers or intermittently.

Powder blue and Achilles in my experience (Achilles odds are usually 1/3 or 1/4 are nasty in my experience) hold permanent grudges. Most tangs will fight new tangs and give them heck for a day or a week. Time and time again I expected PBT and even a couple nasty Achilles I have had over the years to "forgive and forget". It doesn't happen. Once they decide they have a beef, they'll take it to the grave. I've waited months for one to learn to tolerate new additions and it just doesn't happen and ends badly.

My purple tangs, sailfins, naso, hippo, chevrons, Kole, clown, Sohal, Caribbean blue, and several others who were tank bosses or harassed newcomers would eventually get over it and accept new additions - even of the same genus or species! This was NOT in the cards for PBT or the rare nasty Achilles, (who are every bit as bad as the nasty PBT).

You have to replace and try again for any hope.

I added my evil Achilles to a large angel tank with larger dominant tank bosses and more aggressive fish. He left the resident yellow belly hippo tang alone and the emperor angel and passer angel boss fish didn't take any flack from him and didn't allow him to ever assert dominance. I was honestly pleasantly surprised that someone could put this guy in his place.

I've got two moderately to significantly aggressive PBT currently but they were added at the same time as all of my other tangs. I did add a goldrim tang after the fact and they harassed him minimally but with 10 tangs in that qt there's not really opportunity to harass any one fish that much. I've sold evil PBT in the past.

This was my greatest fear - I ordered both Naso & Powder Brown to introduce at the same time on purpose in hopes they would be ok if introduced together.

Right before shipping they advised they had ran out of the Brown; like I mentioned above they gave me a great deal and I really didn't think about it to much after they sent me a pic of the PBT and assured me the size matched the Naso. Must admit I did NO research on them living together as I have always read size and shapes play a big role in Tangs getting along.

Long story short I introduce them at the same time on different sides; within seconds they were together it the same spot looking like a war was about to break out. I waited for a few minutes and decided since it was 1am in the morning ( added more stuff as well from the order ) that I would turn the lights back off and pray they would have a come to Jesus meeting.

That was about two months ago and they are buddies; I can't tell you what happened after the lights went off but they have been great ever since.

Now with that being said; I am stuck in the same situation as am afraid of adding anything bigger than a clown in fear they might attack or cause them issues. That would suck

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added s Picasso trigger (baby) and he immediately took over the area my Midas blenny was in and he did not like it one bit!! Opened his mouth really big which I never saw before! I was afraid that in the morning i may be down s fish! They took turns chasing each other all night. By morning they (including my ckown)were all just fine! Everyone swimming around close and no visible aggression! I'm So happy! Guess they worked it out! However my clown is now hanging in s different location but seems totally fine otherwise

Klaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear that sohal tangs are super aggressive? Same as the clown tangs? True? Thinking of getting one but have several other tangs already.

Back