ADFA39B5-28D4-445B-BF44-7B9FBAF5C665.jpeg

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a convict? How difficult is it?
I've tried them 5 times. All didn't make it past quarantine. Will try again next time I see one. And no I refuse to just drop it into the display even though it'll have a better chance to survive but not with risking the health of my other fish.

Greneis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried them 5 times. All didn't make it past quarantine. Will try again next time I see one. And no I refuse to just drop it into the display even though it'll have a better chance to survive but not with risking the health of my other fish.
I would love one but I don’t want to kill it

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a convict? How difficult is it?

England here and no I don't qt, I wasn't aware that they are tricky.
I got it at about an inch and it had 2 months in my little tank to fatten up, lots of algae to graze.
It eats anything I feed but is constantly grazing and busy.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Three Agimos...Chevy, Steve, and Martin. Zebrasoma gemmatum, Ctenochaetus flavicauda, and juvenile Acanthurus pyroferus respectively.

4D47A909-D0A8-42D0-9037-17D12B31962D.jpeg 806117F0-1F1C-4E09-A291-406B1E6D28D5.jpeg
They all get along fine? Did you introduce them all at the same time?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One peculiarity I have noticed among many East Asian hobbyists is that they put a Tang, usually a Yellow or Regal Blue (often both), as the FIRST fish in their tanks even when the tanks are like 2 foot long. I’m not sure whether they intend to rehouse / rehome then once they get larger or give them away, but the sight of a Regal Blue in a very undersized tank for them just makes me facepalm. Deep inside I’m cringing hard and I’m like “hey do you know that thing’s gonna get to a foot long and requires ideally 7-8 foot or more of swimming space?”

I’d be totally fine with putting a Foxface as among my first fish and I do intend to put in a OSFF and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns as my first three fish. However, I would strongly prefer my tank to have more of an algae bloom before I’d put in any Tang. I know one guy who keeps a Yellow and a Regal Blue in an 80 (cm) cube. He keeps complaining that the Regal Blue gets sick with ick all the time (somehow his Yellow is ok).

Sometimes the more business-oriented LFS in China and Taiwan randomly stock their customers’ tanks because their customers usually have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to the hobby. They’re not hobbyists, they just want something that looks nice and hopefully exotic in their office or hotel lobby or whatever. Sure I mean I’d welcome their money because I have to admit it’s often these ignorant people that are some of the greatest financial benefactors to the hobby, but from the perspective of a hobbyist I can’t help but point out: “Dude, if you want a community tank, a nice reef where the fish are swimming happily and getting along, do you know what it means to put that Six-Line Wrasse in so early?” I guess 99% of them just don’t care. I wouldn’t mind them being generous with their money though, if only they’d share some of theirs with me. :)

When I was a kid in Vancouver, the dentist place I often went to in Parker Place had tangs (Yellow and Regal Blue) and a LIONFISH all in a nano tank that was built into a wall.

Some people, listening to the very bad advice given by shady LFS or online sellers where I am use Tangs to CYCLE a tank. First of all I’d stay away from anyone that advises using fish to cycle a tank.

Another local hobbyist put it this way: “Rich people don’t care about what they do with their fish, which fish they buy, and the quality of their fish. They just buy whatever looks good and keep replacing.” I can bet if a hotel here has a saltwater tank, the hotel manager has got absolutely no idea how to keep the fish inside.

I can bet if one of these people saw a trio of Moorish Idols in a 75-gallon they’d just go: “Oh that looks nice for the lobby / office / whatever.”

Last edited:

ghstrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ive had my Black Tang about 3 years and hes by far my favorite fish and the boss of the tank so im always scared to add any tangs. Recently i took the plunge and added a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang and my Black paid him no mind so its been great. Then came an opportunity to own a Gem Tang thats been in my LFS for about a year in the coral display tank. About 3.5” and fat this guy is a pig. I always shy away outta fear of my Black but after the previous tang doing so well AND the LFS giving me a great deal I TOOK HIM!

Acclimated for two days in a box then cut him loose. Some hostility so i killed the lights then next day much better. Hes been in 4 days and he eats from the clip and swims freely now. Hoping it keeps getting better!

Heres a few videos...

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back