Show off your Tangs

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys say are good Acanthurus that are hardy and can go into smaller tanks? Say 5-6’ tanks.
Whitecheek, powder brown, powder blue, mimc, convict. I would try to stay with ones that stay in the 8-10" range full grown. There are still plenty of choices.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For the Mimic FishBase says 12” max, Randall’s book says 10” max. Do they get that big regularly or is that for the largest specimens recorded (unusually large)?

Convict it says 12.5” max but FoshBase gives a “Common Length” of a bit over 7”, maybe 7.5”.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet the new addition to my family, Sunshine. I almost got him a couple of weeks ago from a local pet shop but decided to wait until my 240 is running to add any more fish to my menagerie. When I went back today I was shocked that he was still there, especially after the recent Hawaii ban. I just couldn’t leave him behind again. He’s very scared and shy but it won’t take long to spoil him and fatten him up.
04FBDD72-669D-4C50-AD6D-E8E4FC1BAC63.jpeg

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For the Mimic FishBase says 12” max, Randall’s book says 10” max. Do they get that big regularly or is that for the largest specimens recorded (unusually large)?

Convict it says 12.5” max but FoshBase gives a “Common Length” of a bit over 7”, maybe 7.5”.
I think mimic lemons do get to be around a foot long. Purple tangs are another nice choice even though they can be bullies.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest family member, Cocoa. He’s eating like a champ and seems like a sweetheart so far. Very curious and interactive. I’ll just be glad when my larger tank arrives so I can start getting everyone moved out of the quarantine tanks. Sorry for the bad picture...the bubbler causes so much spray!

D49D2EA7-E350-43D6-9DD5-8172AE8C419A.jpeg

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is our Eclipse. She was a rescue. Previous owner had her for 5 years and obtained her from LFS missing her top fin and with head erosion. He nursed her back to health and recently put his house up for sale and it sold way too fast so he was rehoming his fish to new owners. Knowing she is not perfect he wanted to make sure she went to someone who did not have any other tangs. She has acclimated nicely and gets along with wrasses, swallowtail angel, boxfish, etc without a problem but I can't seem to sort out how much to feed her. Current stock list in the 125 gallon:

Japanese Female Swallowtail Angel 4"
Sailfin Tang 8-9"
Melanurus Wrasse 4"
Cubuicus Boxfish 2"
Pair of Clowns - Wyoming White and Misbar Black
Banghaai Cardinal 2"
Cleaner Wrasse 3"
Wide Barred Shrimp Goby 4"
Black Sailfin Blenny 3"
Starry Blenny 4"
4 Emerald Crabs
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Various CUC
Mostly LPS and Leather Corals

Currently feeding 1/4 sheet of Nori AM and PM - Eclipse eats if from my hand and the others are learning to
Pellets - 2 sizes because the Cowfish wouldn't eat the larger ones I already had
1 cube Mysis
1 half cube baby brine
Flakes

Eclipse eats everything I put in and the others just get the leftovers.

Eclipse.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who keep the smaller Acanthurus: Mimic, Convict, Lavender, what tank size do they need? Do they need any more room than the Zebrasoma and do they get larger? Would love to know for those of you who keep these species.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice how long have you had the Sailfin and how long have you had the rest of your fish? Would love to know about your experiences with the Swallowtail Angel. Hardiness, feeding, disease etc. Do you plan to keep the Boxfish?
I have no idea what happened to my reply. I thought I sent it from my phone yesterday but it's not here. I've had the sailfin just over 2 weeks. The rest of the fish we've had anywhere from 2 weeks to almost 2 years. The starry blenny has been with us the longest. The Swallowtail we've had since mid-December and so far she is doing really well. The LFS had her for about 2 months before I bought her and they demonstrated her eating pellets and flakes before I bought her. I followed typical quarantine before introducing her to the DT. Yes, we plan to keep the boxfish. He is very tiny, maybe 2", right now and I also had the LFS I bought him from demonstrate that he was eating pellets before I brought him home. They maintain their fish displays with copper at therapeutic levels so he did not go through my quarantine tank before putting him in the DT. These 3 are usually always close by each other. The picture makes them all out of perspective. The angel is about half the size of the tang and the boxfish is barely bigger than the tangs tailfin. All of them hand feed when I put the Nori in the tank.
FISH.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back