Show off your tilefish!

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the minimum tank size for a tilefish, im debating getting a breeding group of them along with some deepwater fish
40 Gallon would be enough for a single or a pair, but if you're talking a group, 55 perhaps, if the total number of fish complies with the "inch per gallon" rule, roughly.

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1647439735660.png

Just saw this beauty up for sale (not WYSIWYG though). I don't think I've heard of this species before, looks stunning. For anyone interested-

It's the flasher, Chlupatyi, and it's sold out :(

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet the one fish that is potentially worse than a moorish idol/achilles tang to keep. The Hoplolatilus chlupatyi, after research it seems these guys like to die for unknown reasons randomly. Even when settled they do the good old expert only move of dying for no apparent reason.
Like the Potter's angel.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the Potter's angel.
Yeah, I’m still annoyed but have come to the biggest conclusion of my guys death being because of a toxic chemical used to collect it (The name always escapes me).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cyanide?
That’s it! I keep reading that Cyanide is still used in some areas round the indo-pacific/Indonesia so figured that could be why. It’s not starvation - He was both fat but also in the wild fish are evolved to go weeks sometimes months without food.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it! I keep reading that Cyanide is still used in some areas round the indo-pacific/Indonesia so figured that could be why. It’s not starvation - He was both fat but also in the wild fish are evolved to go weeks sometimes months without food.
Cyanide collected fish pretty much never make it past 1 month in captivity. They usually do not eat either. It's easy to tell if you open them up afterwards. Severe necrosis and atrophy of the liver.

Had a few different angels (regals and multibars) and a few other types of fish that were cyanide collected unfortunately. They also usually show brighter colors than normal and either eat super well for a week and then drop dead or act hungry but never actually eat and slowly waste away over the course of about a month.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanide collected fish pretty much never make it past 1 month in captivity. They usually do not eat either. It's easy to tell if you open them up afterwards. Severe necrosis and atrophy of the liver.

Had a few different angels (regals and multibars) and a few other types of fish that were cyanide collected unfortunately. They also usually show brighter colors than normal and either eat super well for a week and then drop dead or act hungry but never actually eat and slowly waste away over the course of about a month.
Much more common with Philippines fish in the early 2000s, by mid-late 2010s super rare with Philippines fish, but much more common with fish labeled as coming from "Indonesia"

@i cant think based on when your tilefish died and how long it was in your tank, I'd lean much more towards internal damage from jumping out. Cyanide is very unlikely with how long you owned the fish and the fact that it ate relatively well for you. Don't be afraid to open up a recently deceased fish and try to see what happened, especially with death by unknown cause. Often times it's pretty obvious once you open them up, and without opening them, you'd never figure out the issue. It can be a nice consolation knowing what happened and that you didn't do anything wrong, especially in the case of cyanide collected fish, and also lets you know what wholesalers and importers to avoid in those situations.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much more common with Philippines fish in the early 2000s, by mid-late 2010s super rare with Philippines fish, but much more common with fish labeled as coming from "Indonesia"

@i cant think based on when your tilefish died and how long it was in your tank, I'd lean much more towards internal damage from jumping out. Cyanide is very unlikely with how long you owned the fish and the fact that it ate relatively well for you. Don't be afraid to open up a recently deceased fish and try to see what happened, especially with death by unknown cause. Often times it's pretty obvious once you open them up, and without opening them, you'd never figure out the issue. It can be a nice consolation knowing what happened and that you didn't do anything wrong, especially in the case of cyanide collected fish, and also lets you know what wholesalers and importers to avoid in those situations.
Unfortunately I have no photos of the dead fish - Do you think that matters?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have no photos of the dead fish - Do you think that matters?
Necropsy would have to be done shortly after dying, before decomposition, scavenging, or freezing takes place. So at this point, probably a moot point unfortunately.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the US looking for a purple tilefish? I'd snatch it in a heartbeat if I didn't already blow the aquarium budget for the rest of the semester. A bit pricey, but it's coming from a reputable vendor. They're good about sending a video of the fish eating and how it behaves if you're serious about purchasing it.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the US looking for a purple tilefish? I'd snatch it in a heartbeat if I didn't already blow the aquarium budget for the rest of the semester. A bit pricey, but it's coming from a reputable vendor. They're good about sending a video of the fish eating and how it behaves if you're serious about purchasing it.

If you’re new to tilefish, I’d recommend trying one since they’re the easiest in the genus Hoplolatilus to own. I’d recommend either one of these, a luteus, a cuniculus or a starckii if you’re new to tilefish.

My first one I cared for was a Starckii and they didn’t have the jumping tendency the others in the genus have.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this Blue Blanquillo, aka Blue Dolphin, which is also a tilefish. Very personable, but after a while I realized he's too big for the setup, and took him to a 300gal one. Loved being petted, loved minnows, and digging nice tunnel shafts lol.

I missed this post - Blue blanquillos are beautiful! How long did you have him for and how big did he get?

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this post - Blue blanquillos are beautiful! How long did you have him for and how big did he get?
I had him for about 6 months. He was about 10” when I got him, and I rehomed him in 6 months when he was about 13-14”. I’ve had blanquillos 2 other times, in the 3.5 and 5” sizes, and although they are more voracious, I had difficulty keeping them alive. Some stress related sickness took em.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiles came out of QT and now acclimating

20220327_120557.jpg
Great news to see them both alive and happy! Almost (VERY nearly) picked up a starcki tilefish because I figured I wouldn’t see a Flashing tilefish again for a year or so as they seem to be out of season. My patient side then came out and said it wasn’t what I want so I won’t have it, then today it decides to spot a nice looking Chaetodontoplus melanosoma that was cheap and thought about grabbing it, luckily I caught the want and passed as I wasn’t sure about it and didn’t know if it was what I REALLY need or not. Weird on how the patient side comes out at the most random of times.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back