Show off your tilefish!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys feed your tilefish? I saw that second link above recommended 3x a day, but that was news to me!
I feed a minimum of 4 times daily, preferably 5-6x daily. 4 of those meals include frozen PE mysis or Rod's pacific plankton, and 2-3 include TDO and NLS pellets. The tilefish, along with pretty much all the other fish (especially the planktivores) also really enjoy frozen capellin roe once daily, and the reef breeder formula from Rod's food. Frozen food is prepared the night before and thawed in the fridge, soaked in selcon and sometimes vita-chem.

We also regularly add live rotifers about once weekly, live freshly hatched baby brine about 3-4x weekly, and live copepods every couple weeks.

A varied nutritious diet fed 3+ times per day makes all the difference with these guys and a lot of other planktivores. My chromis don't fight, my fairy wrasses are growing extremely fast and don't fight, the firefish are bold, and everyone looks amazing health and colorwise. And I have multiple fish spawning with zero aggression.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phytoplankton, pods, ect… aswell as feed them a large amount of mysis and brine so I have a very seeded tank for planktivores.
Yup! We add an 8oz bottle of phyto to the tank each morning, alternating between Isochrysis galbana and Tetraselmis suecica. We also feed reef roids about once weekly, and feed Brightwell Coral Amino 2-3x weekly.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys feed your tilefish? I saw that second link above recommended 3x a day, but that was news to me!
These tilefish are very active and burn a lot of energy. My fish are fed tdo 3 times a day with the Plank. In the evening they get PE mysis or eggs. I may add a little nori. I'd like to see what the tiles do with mastik on the glass.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These tilefish are very active and burn a lot of energy. My fish are fed tdo 3 times a day with the Plank. In the evening they get PE mysis or eggs. I may add a little nori. I'd like to see what the tiles do with mastik on the glass.
That’d be interesting to see what they do with mastik for sure! Hopefully my next attempt at a chlupatyi lasts longer than my last one so I can test them with other food and not just Phyto, Pods and frozen Mysis/Brine.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feel like my tilefish looks skinny in pictures even though he's not. Today we finally managed to get a picture that better shows his girth a little better (first pic) vs you can see how he looks skinny in the others. I think part of it is because he's always twisting and never stops moving when the picture is being taken.

He's definitely not skinny. He's honestly like a hotdog with a beer belly. He slurps mysis and fish eggs right from the end of the turkey baster.

received_5109872062466632.jpeg
received_706671963876578.jpeg
received_722242972490086.jpeg

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed at least twice. Actually, usually twice. Occasionally I give a 3rd meal in live form, usually.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is the biggest camera hog

received_1870328483164788.jpeg
received_959032354779468.jpeg
He’s beautiful, hoping this week I finally come home with a tilefish but the hope is rather low at the moment.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so theres a show your wrasses and tangs thread. Where’s the love for tiles! I’d love to see some of your tilefish and also know what you have with it. I’ll go first.
So for those of you who don’t know yet I am a rather newer owner to the tilefish and instead of starting with the more basic, common tilefish (Blue heads, Purples, yellows ect…) I started with one of the harder to keep tilefish, the flashing tilefish (Hoplolatilus chlupatyi). Do I trust he will thrive in my tank? Yes. He didn’t eat for a day in my tank (Or Atleast I didn’t see him eat), in the LFS he ate just fine and after a week of reservation wasn’t flashing anymore! If I could have another (I probably will try squeeze one in) I would go for either a Marcosi or wait until next year when the flashers are back in season!! I have mine in with a twin spot bristletooth tang, magnificent foxface, jade wrasse, radiant wrasse, both lubbocki fairy wrasse variants, a black margin fairy wrasse, a CBB, Black photon clownfish and a sub male melanospilos angelfish. This guy came out 3 days into being in the tank (He has an entire burrow in the back of his cave) and is now out almost the whole time lights are on!! He’s about 2.5” and certainly my favourite fish. He’s in a 4’ tank at the moment (The Jade wrasse will be returned to the LFS for aggression towards the radiant wrasse).
615A92AE-BB5B-4F39-9DBE-EFD3B9C268DE.jpeg
Saw the thread pop up and thought of you. Should have known it was you who started it lol

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the thread pop up and thought of you. Should have known it was you who started it lol
Haha, I loved my guy too much (He grew on me way too fast) and wondered what everyone else’s experiences and species were!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a shame, maybe somewhere online could get one in if thats what you're after?
I like to see them in person and observe them over a few days before I bring them home; that's all. I can't do that from the other side of the state or online.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see them in person and observe them over a few days before I bring them home; that's all. I can't do that from the other side of the state or online.
Yeah, it’s the same over here but when it comes to tilefish it will often be a few weeks. Still no sign of my Flashing tile coming on time though unfortunately… Guess I just have to get lucky and hope it appears next week.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife just got home and my fourmanoiri is dead. Was acting great until yesterday, when it didn't want to eat, and had a seizure, then dove into it's burrow. Never came back out. Today she came home from work and it was sticking to the maxi mini anemone, half eaten by hermit crabs.

I think I may just hold off on any more tilefish. That's 0/3, even doing anything right and I hate buy a fish that is just going to die being pulled off the reef.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife just got home and my fourmanoiri is dead. Was acting great until yesterday, when it didn't want to eat, and had a seizure, then dove into it's burrow. Never came back out. Today she came home from work and it was sticking to the maxi mini anemone, half eaten by hermit crabs.

I think I may just hold off on any more tilefish. That's 0/3, even doing anything right and I hate buy a fish that is just going to die being pulled off the reef.
maybe something shocked it in the tank?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe something shocked it in the tank?
No idea what. It hadn't come out in the morning, and it is usually up front begging when the lights came on. My wife had fed pellets twice that morning, with no sight of the tilefish. Told her to feed mysis, and she did so while videochatting with me so I could see the tank. Tilefish came out, had a full blown seizure, then shot headfirst into it's hole. Never touched any of the anemones during the seizure. Then it was dead when she got home from work today. Honestly, as soon as she told me she hadn't seen it yesterday morning, I knew if it wasn't dead at that point, it would be within 24 hrs. These guys crash fast and hard, and that has been my experience with the fourmanoiri and 2 skunks I tried in this tank, and with the 2 skunks I had in my old 380 gallon (which did fine for 6 months, then crashed).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back