OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what. It hadn't come out in the morning, and it is usually up front begging when the lights came on. My wife had fed pellets twice that morning, with no sight of the tilefish. Told her to feed mysis, and she did so while videochatting with me so I could see the tank. Tilefish came out, had a full blown seizure, then shot headfirst into it's hole. Never touched any of the anemones during the seizure. Then it was dead when she got home from work today. Honestly, as soon as she told me she hadn't seen it yesterday morning, I knew if it wasn't dead at that point, it would be within 24 hrs. These guys crash fast and hard, and that has been my experience with the fourmanoiri and 2 skunks I tried in this tank, and with the 2 skunks I had in my old 380 gallon (which did fine for 6 months, then crashed).
That’s actually extremely similar to what occurred with my flashing tile a day before he died

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually extremely similar to what occurred with my flashing tile a day before he died
I would have loved to do a necropsy, but it was already half eaten by the anemone and cleaner crew (wife corrected me and said front half was hanging from one of the bubbletips, not the maxi mini while back half was being eaten by the armatus pistol shrimp, hermit crabs, and Nassarius snails). Plus I'm in St Kitts and the fish is in Michigan, so hard to do a necropsy.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8D4BACBB-4C01-4625-AB0C-B4075125A95F.jpeg

They look great! How long have you had those 3?

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great! How long have you had those 3?
The Fourmanoirii for 6 months, the Marcosi and Starcki are new additions, 2 weeks. it's so interesting, when you have more than one, especially of different species, it gets all the rest of them into a different groove. Now all three hang out with their tails up, suspended in "mid-air", working witch each other in catching food and being aware of their surroundings. Not my first time putting different variations together, but I've made some new observations this time around lol.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fourmanoirii for 6 months, the Marcosi and Starcki are new additions, 2 weeks. it's so interesting, when you have more than one, especially of different species, it gets all the rest of them into a different groove. Now all three hang out with their tails up, suspended in "mid-air", working witch each other in catching food and being aware of their surroundings. Not my first time putting different variations together, but I've made some new observations this time around lol.
That 6 month mark makes me feel a little better. Perhaps I'll try again, but will wait for my LFS to get some in instead of buying online like last time.

They've got a fourmanoiri in now, maybe I'll see if it's there in a few weeks (and maybe the choati leopard will still be there as well).

Doctor Faust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 6 month mark makes me feel a little better. Perhaps I'll try again, but will wait for my LFS to get some in instead of buying online like last time.

They've got a fourmanoiri in now, maybe I'll see if it's there in a few weeks (and maybe the choati leopard will still be there as well).
I always swore by the Luteus in being the toughest nut and the easiest to keep, but Fourmanoiri is up there. No spots no flukes, nothing. All the rest of my tiles always had exterior issues, though most respond to fresh bath treatments. I would definitely recommend the Fourmanoiri. A very curious animal overall.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys say the minimum tank for a tilefish would be?
I’m thinking of upgrading my nano to a 2.5’ long tank and wonder if I could get one or two in there. As for the other dimensions, I forgot them but it’s about 18” tall.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys say the minimum tank for a tilefish would be?
I’m thinking of upgrading my nano to a 2.5’ long tank and wonder if I could get one or two in there. As for the other dimensions, I forgot them but it’s about 18” tall.
I thought you had a 120?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you had a 120?
I do however my issue is the flashing tile will most likely top it off as the other fish I have are rather large growers (Slow growers but the top 3 get 7-8”). I’d love to own several again and am looking at upgrading that to one of the G series (Probably the 5’) but even then I don’t think I’d be able to get many more fish in there.

My main tiles I’m looking at are, Luteus, Marcosi, Purpureus, Chlupatyi (Still hunting for one). The plan is to try and keep 2 of them in total over the 2 tanks, 3 if I go through with the 4’ upgrade around June/July.

Last edited:

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do however my issue is the flashing tile will most likely top it off as the other fish I have are rather large growers (Slow growers but the top 3 get 7-8”). I’d love to own several again and am looking at upgrading that to one of the G series (Probably the 5’) but even then I don’t think I’d be able to get many more fish in there.

My main tiles I’m looking at are, Luteus, Marcosi, Purpureus, Chlupatyi (Still hunting for one). The plan is to try and keep 2 of them in total over the 2 tanks, 3 if I go through with the 4’ upgrade around June/July.
i got a red sea 200xl cheap if u want it

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a tile in a tank shorter than 4'.
Interesting - My chlupatyi didn’t use all of the tank, actually he used very little of it, mainly hanging around his cave and only going to the other end of the tank at feedings.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - My chlupatyi didn’t use all of the tank, actually he used very little of it, mainly hanging around his cave and only going to the other end of the tank at feedings.
If you've seen the videos of the 17,000 gallon home reef tank owned by Andrew Sandler, he has a bunch of tilefish in there. Look how active they are and how large they are compared to the rest of the fish. They use a huge portion of the tank. I personally am not going to try one again until I have a much larger tank, I'm thinking along the lines of 8' L x 4' W x 30" H or larger.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've seen the videos of the 17,000 gallon home reef tank owned by Andrew Sandler, he has a bunch of tilefish in there. Look how active they are and how large they are compared to the rest of the fish. They use a huge portion of the tank. I personally am not going to try one again until I have a much larger tank, I'm thinking along the lines of 8' L x 4' W x 30" H or larger.
Oh right, They’re not small Hoplolatilus species, they’re definitely the larger species. They’re Hoplolatilus starckii but also show a different behaviour as they’re in groups IMHO. But also if you look at all the other fish around them, they’re much more hyperactive fish which will boost the confidence of tilefish, and they’re in a large group making them more active - In the wild they won’t be found like this and will be found in pairs or trios instead of a large group of 10-20.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My New boy!! So excited unfortunately the hommie didn't make it in shipping so when

I have a buddy for him will re post my Oreni
fingers crossed for the video to work lol

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My New boy!! So excited unfortunately the hommie didn't make it in shipping so when

I have a buddy for him will re post my Oreni
fingers crossed for the video to work lol
Nice! Funny to see the other fish trying to set a pecking order. Problem is, tilefish just don't care.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Funny to see the other fish trying to set a pecking order. Problem is, tilefish just don't care.
They really don’t, all tilefish care about is getting that torpedo shaped body through a gap you’d think isn’t possible.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back