Show off your XL tanks (over 400 gallons)!!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently keep young kids in it with LEGO’s.
024250baafc6894fc2b2314000e63105.jpg

So you just told your wife it was an aquarium. When, in reality, it was a small person corral so you could work on RC stuff... super genius!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a HUGE Fan of large sumps and using several smaller skimmers. I have found that a pair or trio of 400-500G rated skimmers will outwork a single 1200-1500G skimmer and usually fit in a normal sized space, are cheaper and are easier to get parts for (more commonplace and not as custom). Don't get pigeonholed into thinking that you can only have one skimmer. On this 800ish gallon in my garage, I am going to be using a ASM G4 (with 2 pumps for about 500g rating) and a pair of 500 gallon LifeReef skimmers. I am building a 30x36 skimmer chamber and can even fit a few more skimmers in there if I need to.

I usually like to use a beckett or a downdraft on a huge tank, but I have to have the sump under the stand on this one and do not have much head room.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a HUGE Fan of large sumps and using several smaller skimmers. I have found that a pair or trio of 400-500G rated skimmers will outwork a single 1200-1500G skimmer and usually fit in a normal sized space, are cheaper and are easier to get parts for (more commonplace and not as custom). Don't get pigeonholed into thinking that you can only have one skimmer. On this 800ish gallon in my garage, I am going to be using a ASM G4 (with 2 pumps for about 500g rating) and a pair of 500 gallon LifeReef skimmers. I am building a 30x36 skimmer chamber and can even fit a few more skimmers in there if I need to.

I usually like to use a beckett or a downdraft on a huge tank, but I have to have the sump under the stand on this one and do not have much head room.

This is good to know, as I was hoping to keep everything contained under the stand. I’m sure I could easily fit two smaller skimmers in the sump. Thanks for the skimmer recommendations as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is what I like to see. Im a lover of Big Tanks and feel Bigger is better. My 360g has gotten too small for me and I want bigger if I ever find that tank size I want at the right price

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I could run a large tank from under the stand. Having a dedicated fish room in the basement spoils you permanently. I have a 450, which is full after just a year, and am already contemplating something much bigger.

OP
OP
Maddlesrain

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I could run a large tank from under the stand. Having a dedicated fish room in the basement spoils you permanently.

I think when a large-ish closet space would be nice just so I wouldn’t be trying to maneuver everything from on the floor, but I’ll take what I can get! Haha

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Aquarium Engineering stuff is impressive, with a price tag to match LOL. What kind of pump is needed to run that skimmer?

My current tank is nominally a 450, 8’ x 3’ x 30” tall; 50 gallons of acrylic, 400 gallons of water. Tank made by fishtanksdirect in Florida. I like swiming space, and large expanses of sand, so my lighting requirements are more modest that traditional approaches would dictate. No need to grow algae on sand or the front panel, so lights are shifted backwards and I light the tank as if it were only 24” front to back. Approach has worked really well.

Last edited:

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Aquarium Engineering stuff is impressive, with a price tag to match LOL. What kind of pump is needed to run that skimmer?

My current tank is nominally a 450, 8’ x 3’ x 30” tall; 50 gallons of acrylic, 400 gallons of water. Tank made by fishtanksdirect in Florida. I like swiming space, and large expanses of sand, so my lighting requirements are more modest that traditional approaches would dictate. No need to grow algae on sand or the front panel, so lights are shifted backwards and I light the tank as if it were only 24” front to back. Approach has worked really well.

It’s a dart pump and those white blocks in the picture are the air pumps. Only 1 needed. I have the second for backup

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Saw this on the modern boobtube today. Pretty impressive and natural reef.

Get me this and you will make me happy and quiet for LIFE!!!!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if that tang ate the teeny weeny clown?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about doing a build thread on this. Not sure yet. I typically stay behind the scenes.

Please!

Your experience with that has me wanting to do the same thing when I go big. I want something easy to maintain when I'm old and decrepit so that I can enjoy it as long as possible.

Wonder if that tang ate the teeny weeny clown?

Seriously! It's almost small enough for the female maroon to eat in one bite, let alone that tang.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back