Show us your giganteas!

Hah I was debating about offloading one or both. They're actually the ones on the right in my first photo.
They look really healthy! If you get tired of them, put me on the waiting list. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
Need picture evidence! :p
Here's my little showpiece-to-be, lol.

IMG_20230708_093108~2.jpg
 
Dude get that guy out of that sump, blast him with flow and light before he dies.
He looks 10 times better than when I got him, so I have no fear of him dying. And I'm blasting him with both in there already, thank you.
 
Why not in the display?
Long story short, my LFS got it a long time ago, but it immediately disappeared in the rocks, asssumed dead. When it reappeared months later it was the size of a mushroom and all white. They kept it until it had some brown to it, and then let me buy it. I've been recuperating it since then.

I have a dedicated area of my sump with reef lighting and multiple flow options, built specifically for anemone rehab, and I've done it several times with other species.

Specifically to answer your question - I have several different species of anemone in my system, and this one came to me very weak. Between the size, the lack of color, and the high risk of chemical warfare, I want it where I can see it until it's a lot bigger. Getting a nice, healthy gigantea is hard these days and I'm not taking any chances. :)
 
Long story short, my LFS got it a long time ago, but it immediately disappeared in the rocks, asssumed dead. When it reappeared months later it was the size of a mushroom and all white. They kept it until it had some brown to it, and then let me buy it. I've been recuperating it since then.

I have a dedicated area of my sump with reef lighting and multiple flow options, built specifically for anemone rehab, and I've done it several times with other species.

Specifically to answer your question - I have several different species of anemone in my system, and this one came to me very weak. Between the size, the lack of color, and the high risk of chemical warfare, I want it where I can see it until it's a lot bigger. Getting a nice, healthy gigantea is hard these days and I'm not taking any chances. :)
Get it situated so it can set it foot into a rock and stick it in your display. Even on the little ones the tentacles should be nice and elongated (like this pic). That gig was maybe an inch across? I hear about chemical warfare a lot, but don’t really pay much attention to it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1929.jpeg
    IMG_1929.jpeg
    293.8 KB · Views: 103
Get it situated so it can set it foot into a rock and stick it in your display. Even on the little ones the tentacles should be nice and elongated (like this pic). That gig was maybe an inch across? I hear about chemical warfare a lot, but don’t really pay much attention to it.
Is it mostly chemical warfare between different types of nems? like BTAs?
 
Is it mostly chemical warfare between different types of nems? like BTAs?
If you ask those with multiple giganteas in the same system, most often one of the gigs is the largest, and all others are smaller. It's almost as if one takes on a dominant role. In the wild, it's believed that these are solitary anemones, unlike BTAs and magnifica that are often clustered together (coincidentally, these are the anemones that reproduce asexually).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new