0   0   0
Last edited:

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any pics but i had a mushroom that was sold to me as a neon green carpet mushroom. Absolutely gorgeous and when it was happy it was about 8 inches around. I watched it literally grab ahold of one of my acans and murder it in just a few minutes. Plus this thing laid welps on my arms everytime id do and scaping near it.

barbianj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this one before it went too far. the Tyree RWM tentacle is in the mouth of the Duncan.

47161e24.jpg

Acan Lord attacking a baby head of a Blasto. Caught that one just in time, too.

41387c92.jpg

Mason Dixon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating....what exactly is happening when the tentacles reach out to the opposing coral?

When they are fighting, do you guys just cut the tentacles and move the corals further apart?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gorg is like vampire zooxanthellae eater LOL

This is an awesome thread. Although every time I read the title I keep thinking it is war corals :xd:

Rydogg420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Ive seen some corals fighting before on tv, but I did not know some of these corals you all posted could attack like they do?? I have some of these types or coral in my own tank so I will have to keep a better eye on a few of mine now when Im spot feeding at night time.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a gorgonian and it directly went after a Ricordea. I separated it a few times and it went right back at the ric. It was like it was trying to dig into the ric. When I pulled them apart the gorg had orange on it's tips.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/...-B259-2B5C75CDA652-46629-000015E8E87A36AA.mp4

Thats incredible. Is it the purple kind? I have it with my rics and have never seen it move on its own, at least not like that. I didn't know they were even aggressive? what ever resulted in this small battle??

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats incredible. Is it the purple kind? I have it with my rics and have never seen it move on its own, at least not like that. I didn't know they were even aggressive? what ever resulted in this small battle??

Yes it was a purple one. I kept pulling it out of the Ric and it would go right back and attack it every time. The other tentacles where trying to attack the blue clove polyps on the rocks but they weren't sticking as well. I had to separate the Gorgs from the Ric.

I ended up losing the Gorgs when I treated the tank with fluke tabs to kill the clove polyps.

Surgical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating....what exactly is happening when the tentacles reach out to the opposing coral?

When they are fighting, do you guys just cut the tentacles and move the corals further apart?

What ive learned is that they are mesenterial filaments. They are digestive filaments located in the gastrovascular cavity, the equivalent of our stomachs basically. They have a higher amount of nematocysts and react from histoincompatability( they recognize the chemicals of nearby enemies or threats as part of their immune system). Just like anemones that can expel their nematocysts into the water as a way of killing thigs it cant reach, they work by literally stinging the other coral. If the other coral is adaptove enough, it can shunt growth on the affected side an grow in the other direction, if it hasnt been killed. There are other defensive mechanisms that are really cool. This is definitely a bookmarked thread!!! Keep those awesome pics coming.

-iain

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, thats wild. Next time you need to exterminate something like that I found that a good coat of super glue gel does wonders. I have a gsp infestation that I keep in check by covering them with glue and either a piece of rubble or sand depending on the spot. Either way it purples up or gets covered by a coral. Some rocks are too secure to lift out of water though so you have to get creative.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, thats wild. Next time you need to exterminate something like that I found that a good coat of super glue gel does wonders. I have a gsp infestation that I keep in check by covering them with glue and either a piece of rubble or sand depending on the spot. Either way it purples up or gets covered by a coral. Some rocks are too secure to lift out of water though so you have to get creative.

I would have had to fill this tank up with superglue to kill the # of cloves I had. :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back