surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would move it into more flow, not less

well, only reason i wanted to move it into less flow is b/c i've noticed some of my sps not extend their poylps as much since i added the nano streams. seems like they were kinda getting blasted with too much flow.

they were also sitting right in front of the return outlet, which is just a mag 3 though. so they did have some constant flow. but i've never had a problem with any other new frag sitting there having a problem with the flow.

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me also,

speaking of rtn, that blue polyp nasuta dissolved over three days. i fragged it into four pieces but they all slowly one by one rtn'd. i'm thinking he is selling pieces off of wild colony's as aq'd, not too happy bout that.

yeah, i would completely agree with that statement.

most of his stuff seems way too big to be aquacultured anyways.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, only reason i wanted to move it into less flow is b/c i've noticed some of my sps not extend their poylps as much since i added the nano streams. seems like they were kinda getting blasted with too much flow.

they were also sitting right in front of the return outlet, which is just a mag 3 though. so they did have some constant flow. but i've never had a problem with any other new frag sitting there having a problem with the flow.

but what if the more extended polyps are the result of the coral gasping for o2 exchange? as it is not getting enough flow.

i bought a nano stream last night, and played with one in the new aquacultured tank at atlantis(nice new counter tank under a tek light with 6t5's, and it was way brighter than the sps frag tank which has 2x400 and 1 250w mh, )

back to the nano stream, trust me, no Acropora sp. is going to be adversely affected by the flow output, given about a six inch gap between the front.

acropora actually grow quickist in laminar flow areas in the ocean, and the mariculturerer's know that and place things accordingly. i would check your alkalinity if you haven't recently.

it stinks that the nicer of the two frags is the one that rtn'd,

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah tell me about it. that completely caught me by surprise.

i'll check on it tomorrow to see how its doing, maybe move it down to the sand bed in the tank where there is good flow, but less light. it was just a couple of inches under the water surface directly under the new 250w radium i have on there.

so that could have added to the stress also.

i tested alk/cal the other night and it was at 9.3dkh and 400ppm. all other acros seem fine and normal.

i'm thinkin it was just all the stress it was under that day, they were a bit slimey at the store, but thats b/c i know he just fragged them earlier.

i may be able to take a small frag of the big branch on the other frag i was telling you about. will obviously wait for it to recover first though. if this one has trouble i will tell chris about what happened. hopefully i can get another frag sometime sooner rather than later as long as he has a good place to frag his colony.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Australian Delicate (bad shot)
ORA-Australian-Delicate-012.jpg

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my chips is the size of a baseball --- i have fragged it over 8 times in the last year that is a fast grower

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Australian Delicate (bad shot)
ORA-Australian-Delicate-012.jpg

what kind of acro is this?!?!?! I Google 'Australian Delicate' and didn't get much.....one link did say 'Australian Delicate Stag (ORA)'....which makes me wonder cuz the above pic does not look like a stag!

I've got something almost identical to it...have had it over a year and i still don't know what it is...this is the first time i've seen anything that even comes close to it!

pls post more pics of it!!!! :)

Zach

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they call it a stag. i don't see how it is. i have a rather large colony of it........and it forms into a bush IMO.......not very typeical stag growth. the branches are VERY thin.....thinner than a toothpick, and has bright green polyps.

IMG_1288.jpg

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they call it a stag. i don't see how it is. i have a rather large colony of it........and it forms into a bush IMO.......not very typeical stag growth. the branches are VERY thin.....thinner than a toothpick, and has bright green polyps.

IMG_1288.jpg

awesome! that's the same one! wow...oh happy day! :D

any idea on the exact species?? what does this coral/frags go for? is it expensive/rare? (sorry, i know next to nothing when it comes to acros, let alone ORA acros heheheh)

The one i got was a freebie from a buddy who was leaving the country, even he had no idea what it was, only that he believed it was some sort of 'deepwater acropora'...i think he'll be glad to now know there's a positive ID on it ;)

Zach

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't say its rare.....or highly sought after for that matter.

only people who keep them are people who like to buy ORA stuff, or have a ridiculous amount of sps. honestly, its not even that great looking IMO....always been brown w/ blue tips IMO.

only thing interesting about it is that the branches are so ridiculously thin....so it has an interesting shape.

i think most stores sell it for b/w $20-$40 for a small frag....which is kinda expensive IMO considering how small the frags usually are....like in gflat's pic...i wouldn't pay more than $20 for that.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking speciosa for species, but not at all 100%... They can relly color up. Mine now has blue-ish tips with a greenish base and neon green polyps:).

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a picture of the new ORA Dustin's Deepwater Acropora that Live Aquaria will be selling. It was in their Diver's Den last night.
ORADustinsDeepwaterAcro7999.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a picture of the new ORA Dustin's Deepwater Acropora that Live Aquaria will be selling. It was in their Diver's Den last night.
ORADustinsDeepwaterAcro7999.jpg

FWIW.......i think LiveAquaria really messed that one up. b/c that picture is DEFINITELY not of their newly released deepwater coral.

i just picked up the deepwater coral today, and it has very long thin coralites.......but the coralites are completely smooth without any tips coming off the main body. its a dark emerald green color......and on the very top of the longest branch has a bright tip that is light blue to bright purple.....its very intense.

honestly.....the picture they posted looks like a tort IMO.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.......i think LiveAquaria really messed that one up. b/c that picture is DEFINITELY not of their newly released deepwater coral.

i just picked up the deepwater coral today, and it has very long thin coralites.......but the coralites are completely smooth without any tips coming off the main body. its a dark emerald green color......and on the very top of the longest branch has a bright tip that is light blue to bright purple.....its very intense.

honestly.....the picture they posted looks like a tort IMO.

Where did you buy the coral? Can you post a picture?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back