OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to give the coral box dosing containers a try.

upload_2018-1-22_12-20-38.jpeg

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ripped all the rock down I hated it.. The piece in the middle just turned out to massive and looked stupid. I will have pic tonight when I get home. There is now water in the tank and will be starting the equipment cabinet.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I got allot done. There is water in the tank and a few fish. Control panel is done but was to small so I may redo it in time. It is one side cabinet and the other cabinet has a autotop off in. I will have pictures here in a few days.

Here is my barnacle blennies in temporary tank.

upload_2018-2-21_12-29-26.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The real news is I am also starting my basement project. I will start a thread on that setup separate. Anyway it is going to be a 120 gallon and several frag aquariums.

Here is a drawing of what I am going to do:

upload_2018-2-21_12-40-39.png

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really need to update this thread especially with pictures. I have a few fish in the tank already and a small frag rack with a few corals. I have a Garf bonsai, Ora Goniopora, green goniopora, red dragon, JF Spit Fire Lephastrea, Ora Purple Plasma, Big R Bubblegum Digitada.

This tank will used to grow colonies that will be fraged for my propagation system along with the 120 and future 40 gallon breeder.

For those who want to follow along on the coral propagation system the thread is here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...al-propagation-and-aquaculture-system.462665/

It has totally changed from the pic above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small control panel. Wish I would have made it bigger. The Apex will be moving to my other build and I will be throwing on a Apex Jr since I just need to control temp and 3 t-5 lights. Really would not need a controller for this tank anyway.

upload_2018-3-8_9-47-54.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small control panel. Wish I would have made it bigger. The Apex will be moving to my other build and I will be throwing on a Apex Jr since I just need to control temp and 3 t-5 lights. Really would not need a controller for this tank anyway.

upload_2018-3-8_9-47-54.png
Are the tanks going to be too far apart to connect them with a USB cable? You can control multiple tanks off a single Apex.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the tanks going to be too far apart to connect them with a USB cable? You can control multiple tanks off a single Apex.

Yea one is upstairs and one is down stairs. The one downstairs is going to be allot of tanks too.. How long of a cable can you get for the apex, any idea? Maybe I could drill a hole through the floor, it may not be that far really. I also was thinking of GHL possibly for the basement but saving money is more important right now. Two tank builds at once plus the size of the downstairs build.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea one is upstairs and one is down stairs. The one downstairs is going to be allot of tanks too.. How long of a cable can you get for the apex, any idea? Maybe I could drill a hole through the floor, it may not be that far really. I also was thinking of GHL possibly for the basement but saving money is more important right now. Two tank builds at once plus the size of the downstairs build.
The Aquabus cables max out at 200 feet. You would still have extra costs since you would need extra input modules for temp control and at least one or two more EB8's. Since you could get away with a Apex Jr it may be cheaper in the long run to get the new Apex. Just something to think about.
And I love my GHL but they are definitely not cheap. I do find it less glitchy than my old Apex but it isn't as easy to program and the web interface isn't nearly as nice.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Aquabus cables max out at 200 feet. You would still have extra costs since you would need extra input modules for temp control and at least one or two more EB8's. Since you could get away with a Apex Jr it may be cheaper in the long run to get the new Apex. Just something to think about.
And I love my GHL but they are definitely not cheap. I do find it less glitchy than my old Apex but it isn't as easy to program and the web interface isn't nearly as nice.

Yea my Apex is a little glitchy at times too.. I wanted something a little easier to program.,but it does not sound like GHL is that.. I have a GHL doser and it is pretty easy.

I will measure, it may be less than 200 feet, matter of fact I would bet it is less, I didn't know they go that far.. I will just move the apex downstairs then and add a PM1 upstairs for temp, and a EB4 or EB8. Thank you for the information.

Edit after a little research:
It looks like it really goes only 75' before needing a power module, 200 total.. May not be far enough at 75 feet. In which case might be cheaper to get Apex JR.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my Apex is a little glitchy at times too.. I wanted something a little easier to program.,but it does not sound like GHL is that.. I have a GHL doser and it is pretty easy.

I will measure, it may be less than 200 feet, matter of fact I would bet it is less, I didn't know they go that far.. I will just move the apex downstairs then and add a PM1 upstairs for temp, and a EB4 or EB8. Thank you for the information.

Edit after a little research:
It looks like it really goes only 75' before needing a power module, 200 total.. May not be far enough at 75 feet. In which case might be cheaper to get Apex JR.
Good catch on that, I didn't notice it.
I love the GHL dosers and they are bout as easy to program as it gets. It might be better to say that the GHL is less intuitive to program than the Apex, especially when it comes to programming outlets. Doing basic functions is easy. For advanced programming you do it outside the outlets and then assign the outlets to the programming.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have not posted in a while because it has not been much to post. I have two builds going on at the same time limiting the funds.

I did pick up a purple firefish. I also picked up a small cherub angel.. Pics to come. I finally got a filter for my camera.. I have a 1/2" pacific blue tang also in this tank which will be going in my downstairs build, he will have to grow allot before I do because he is so tiny. Supposedly a captive raised fish.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to let people know this build is still going on I just have not done anything to the tank in a while. It is pretty much live rock and a few fish.
Summer I took on way to many projects. I also have my basement aquaculture system which also has had little done but is priority.
The tank also went through a small dino bloom after I added the frags so I was not in any rush to add more till this problem was taken care of...

The Frags started getting light and their was very low nutrients so I started adding nitrogen and phosphate and the dinos hit. I added some live rock and stopped dosing nutrients and it went away. It started disappearing near the live rock first. The tank was just too sterile.

I will be getting back to this tank in the fall...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back