0   0   0
1671833759899.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not comment on If these claims are true or have any merit to them.

I will comment on the complete lack of sense that the hobby applied to dosing quantities.

For example... I dose 100 ml of alkalinity a day... What does that even mean? Nothing. What are you dosing and at what concentration?

I can mix up anything I like and call it a solution.

If BRS has changed the amount of material included in their 1 gallon solution pouches for their calcium additive then there are only a few possibilities.

1. They are selling less for more and you are getting less calcium per ml for your 1 gallon pouch.

2. They are selling you a more concentrated product; allowing them to ship you less product while still providing you the same amount of calcium per ml for your 1 gallon pouch.

3. (And I feel like this is the most likely) Nothing has changed. Moisture content is a variable and will cause a measurable weight difference when the actual product contents has not changed.

You mix up your supplement with a gallon of water and you get x amount of supplement per ml. That's it. It doesn't matter if your pouch weighs 400 grams or 500 grams. The content is the same.

I once received a sealed bag of "pretzels" full of air; sold by weight not volume. That doesn't mean that Schnider of Hannover is the big bad big business trying to get one over on me.

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they reformulated the product and didn’t notify anyone?

They source a raw material. I work in the chemical industry and can say with certainty that 2 products spec’d the same from 2 suppliers may not be the same. 2 batches from the same supplier may not be the same in terms of concentration compared to weight OR volume. They do not list the moisture content and I feel this is the variable here.

The important part is what is the the concentration of the finished product? I’m betting the difference is smaller than what our hobbyist grade tests can decipher. Or maybe I’m completely wrong and they are different.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people buy there additives and dump it into a gallon and call it good??

You should be weighing out the chemicals and calculating the concentration anyway.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else laugh whenever BRS gets sharted on by people? It's just funny to me because it seems like bullying BRS is a side hobby of some reefers. I can't think of any other company that people in this hobby like to crap on more even though there are companies in this hobby way more deserving of attacks than brs.
Well, except for liveaquaria, RedSea, tropic marin salt, vibrant, instant ocean, hanna checkers, Neptune salinity probes, hahaha yeah. I’m just poking fun

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The egregious thing is that people call Krispy Kreme, a donut store. It definitely is not.

Small mom and pop donut shops are the way. If you can find one that bakes with potato flower, even better.

Krispy Kreme are an abomination.
There’s a place called Texas Donuts that’s a little further away and I’ll hit them up once or twice a month. KK is still better than most supermarket donuts though. It’s something I’ll get 2-3 times a year when I’m craving a donut but everything is closed.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about this one

its also the same thing as the hydros wifi that cost 39.99.
I have been shopping more at salwtwateraquarium.com/premium aquatics anymore as they have gone from good place to shop to now corporate greed

Can you get the amazon product to work with the focustronic ...
"The Powertronic is a smart power bar made to wirelessly control your devices from anywhere in the world. Use the Powertronic in conjunction with a Focustronic Mastertronic or Alkatronic in order to gain complete control over your aquarium system. Use the “Auto” mode to set rules that will trigger your equipment to turn on or off for any duration based on measurements taken by your monitoring devices. For example, when NO3 is too low, it can turn off your filter or skimmer for a couple hours or days to allow nutrients to raise up again."
the amazon product is OEM, that allows you to develop to its API...

Like you said on the hydros...this would be a better comparison.

It's my own fault if i dont shop around. not the vendors.

Agree on the rest

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone and everything is going up in price. Companies are getting greedier and greedier. Something has to change, or the future is bleak.
You’ll notice that month over month increases in CPI and PCE are actually pretty low now so that’ll hopefully continue.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, except for liveaquaria, RedSea, tropic marin salt, vibrant, instant ocean, hanna checkers, Neptune salinity probes, hahaha yeah. I’m just poking fun

The only companies in this hobby that get on my nerve sometimes are AI (fantastic meltable lights) and Brightwell (absolutely horrible instructions that confuse people). Tropic marin get on my nerve in the same way Apple does lol

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you get the amazon product to work with the focustronic ...
"The Powertronic is a smart power bar made to wirelessly control your devices from anywhere in the world. Use the Powertronic in conjunction with a Focustronic Mastertronic or Alkatronic in order to gain complete control over your aquarium system. Use the “Auto” mode to set rules that will trigger your equipment to turn on or off for any duration based on measurements taken by your monitoring devices. For example, when NO3 is too low, it can turn off your filter or skimmer for a couple hours or days to allow nutrients to raise up again."
the amazon product is OEM, that allows you to develop to its API...

Like you said on the hydros...this would be a better comparison.

It's my own fault if i dont shop around. not the vendors.

Agree on the rest
i dont know anything about the focus tronic. but I have that amazon powerbar on my Hydros and it acts 100% same as the unit that comes with the hydros.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know anything about the focus tronic. but I have that amazon powerbar on my Hydros and it acts 100% same as the unit that comes with the hydros.
Good point.. its not the powerbar hardware its the controller connecting to it, that is making the API calls to the powerbar.

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So shop somewhere else. Simple solution. Or are you trying to start a revolution lol

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree that many companies change as they grow larger and what was once a great niche business becomes the “evil corporation.”

However, unless you live under a rock everything has increased in price. The last couple years have seen massive price increases in many materials. I don’t doubt “questionable” business practices but as the global economy changes so do bottom line costs.

In a hobby where people will drop $2000 on equipment that will do what a $15 test kit will with 5 minutes of time it seems silly that we get so wound up by 100g of chemical.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I completely agree that many companies change as they grow larger and what was once a great niche business becomes the “evil corporation.”

However, unless you live under a rock everything has increased in price. The last couple years have seen massive price increases in many materials. I don’t doubt “questionable” business practices but as the global economy changes so do bottom line costs.

In a hobby where people will drop $2000 on equipment that will do what a $15 test kit will with 5 minutes of time it seems silly that we get so wound up by 100g of chemical.
Give them an inch, they will end up taking a mile over time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back