Sicce Syncra Silent reduced flow

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with my Sicce 1.5 Syncra silent. At about 3-4 months old, I noticed the flow was starting to greatly reduce. Obviously, I thought it must be very dirty (it wasn't), but even after several very thorough cleanings, the flow is still very low and even worse than it was a couple of months ago. I even cleaned out the return line and nozzle which were both still very clean as this was a pretty new tank.

According to Sicce's chart, I should be getting 200~ gph at the height of my return, but I measured less than 50 gph. It's gotten so bad it can barely keep the siphon flowing on my HOB overflow.

I have contacted Sicce and after some back and forth and troubleshooting they have basically said their pumps don't lose flow and it must be somehow my fault.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I really don't want to have to buy a new pump but it's looking like that's what I'm going to have to do. FWIW I have had several Sicce Syncra pumps and none of them have acted like this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with my Sicce 1.5 Syncra silent. At about 3-4 months old, I noticed the flow was starting to greatly reduce. Obviously, I thought it must be very dirty (it wasn't), but even after several very thorough cleanings, the flow is still very low and even worse than it was a couple of months ago. I even cleaned out the return line and nozzle which were both still very clean as this was a pretty new tank.

According to Sicce's chart, I should be getting 200~ gph at the height of my return, but I measured less than 50 gph. It's gotten so bad it can barely keep the siphon flowing on my HOB overflow.

I have contacted Sicce and after some back and forth and troubleshooting they have basically said their pumps don't lose flow and it must be somehow my fault.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I really don't want to have to buy a new pump but it's looking like that's what I'm going to have to do. FWIW I have had several Sicce Syncra pumps and none of them have acted like this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
This really is odd. My initial thought would have been an obstruction on the inlet or outlet. It is very unusual for an AC pump like these to lose flow without an outside interference which is probably why Sicce responded how they did. I can only think of 3 things off the top of my head. Damaged impeller, damaged volute, and a sticking bushing. I think the bushing sticking isn't too likely. Then again, I think the others would be obvious if they were a problem.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really is odd. My initial thought would have been an obstruction on the inlet or outlet. It is very unusual for an AC pump like these to lose flow without an outside interference which is probably why Sicce responded how they did. I can only think of 3 things off the top of my head. Damaged impeller, damaged volute, and a sticking bushing. I think the bushing sticking isn't too likely. Then again, I think the others would be obvious if they were a problem.

Yeah that’s what they said too and as best as I can tell, nothing is damaged. That’s why I’m so confused. Nothing about the setup has changed.

It does seem to have plenty of flow when unhooked from the return line, which would lead me to believe there is something obstructing the return, but like I said, I’ve cleaned the return line as well and if anything it has only gotten worse.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to have plenty of flow when unhooked from the return line, which would lead me to believe there is something obstructing the return, but like I said, I’ve cleaned the return line as well and if anything it has only gotten worse.
It could be that the pump isn't doing well against the head pressure. That could be impeller or volute damage.

Does the flow change when you adjust the front dial? Or is that ineffective at doing anything now?

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the pump isn't doing well against the head pressure. That could be impeller or volute damage.

Does the flow change when you adjust the front dial? Or is that ineffective at doing anything now?

It changes the output slightly, but not much. Is the impeller and volute damage something that can be seen or tested for? The pump looks like it just came out of the box, and I have not been able to see any kind of damage.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run the pump off the line in a bucket? See how it pumps then. Are you sure nothing is in the line? You cleaned it all the way thru? Sounds like a blockage of some sort. But if you can run it off line and flow is good, that will be the tell tale.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It changes the output slightly, but not much. Is the impeller and volute damage something that can be seen or tested for? The pump looks like it just came out of the box, and I have not been able to see any kind of damage.
I'm sure it could be tested, but I'm not sure how to do it in a meaningful way so I cant help there.

The impeller should look something like this. You want to make sure all 3 blades are still smooth on the edges with no chips or chunks taken out of them.

upload_2019-1-21_9-30-28.png

With the impeller out, I would run your finger along the inside (volute) to check for any rough or chipped away areas. Also make sure that the discharge for water exiting the volute isn't blocked. Maybe run a small pipe cleaner brush down from the pump outlet into the center cavity.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it could be tested, but I'm not sure how to do it in a meaningful way so I cant help there.

The impeller should look something like this. You want to make sure all 3 blades are still smooth on the edges with no chips or chunks taken out of them.

upload_2019-1-21_9-30-28.png

With the impeller out, I would run your finger along the inside (volute) to check for any rough or chipped away areas. Also make sure that the discharge for water exiting the volute isn't blocked. Maybe run a small pipe cleaner brush down from the pump outlet into the center cavity.

I did all of that the last 2-3 times I had it apart and everything was smooth and intact. I'm going to try and clean out the return again, maybe there is some type of blockage I've missed somehow...

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the flow reduction setting dial is damaged/broken?

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some extra time on my lunch break so I cleaned out the return line again, and sure enough there was a piece of cloth stuck in one of the elbows from the last time I cleaned it. Got it out and now it’s running great. ;Facepalm​

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was a piece of cloth stuck in one of the elbows from the last time I cleaned it. Got it out and now it’s running great. ;Facepalm
I'm less confused now! :p

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back