Sicce XStream SDC: DIY Battery Backup

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using SICCE XStream pumps with IOTA Apex control for a while now, and thought I would share a little known secret. Sicce's XStream SDC powerheads are compatible with LiPo battery Backup, including an integrated charger, low output battery-only mode, and alerts when battery mode is triggered!

Using a couple 18650 cells can get you 6-12 hours of flow during an outage depending on pump setting. It's a pretty awesome feature that is mentioned in their manual but nobody seems to utilize it.

IMG_6152.jpeg
212370-sicce-sdc-xstream-pump-cv2.jpg

Attachments

• 80N657 XStreamSDC istruzioni preview.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 129
OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish more manufacturers did this.
Integrated charger is awesome feature.

Totally!

I also like Ecotech Vortechs, that have a simple battery input with no charger. I can DIY a system with any battery (such as a big LiFePO4), add a trickle charger and just connect the battery straight to the controller.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using SICCE XStream pumps with IOTA Apex control for a while now, and thought I would share a little known secret. Sicce's XStream SDC powerheads are compatible with LiPo battery Backup, including an integrated charger, low output battery-only mode, and alerts when battery mode is triggered!

Using a couple 18650 cells can get you 6-12 hours of flow during an outage depending on pump setting. It's a pretty awesome feature that is mentioned in their manual but nobody seems to utilize it.

IMG_6152.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. It is great what Sicce did to be honest. Even better that they integrated with the IoTA layers. Talking about a quality of life improvement. Both parties didn't worry about the other stealing business from wave makers yet made it easy for hobbyist to control. The battery is just icing on the cake.

Thank you again for the information.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6152.jpeg
Thanks for this post! I’ve been running these pumps for about a year and half and didn’t realize this was a thing. I suspect most folks, myself included, didn’t read the manual or did and didn’t understand the feature. I am definitely going to put this together.

Would you be willing to post or dm a link for the items you used to make the battery pack? The batteries were easy enough to find but I wasn’t able to find the actual case.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6152.jpeg
TheHarold,

I have the xstream sdc and would like to add this battery backup. Can you provide a parts list, such as for Amazon? I just want to make sure I’m doing this right as Sicce has some info, but not all.

Gac800

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TheHarold,

I have the xstream sdc and would like to add this battery backup. Can you provide a parts list, such as for Amazon? I just want to make sure I’m doing this right as Sicce has some info, but not all.
Did you end up finding the part?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this post! I’ve been running these pumps for about a year and half and didn’t realize this was a thing. I suspect most folks, myself included, didn’t read the manual or did and didn’t understand the feature. I am definitely going to put this together.

Would you be willing to post or dm a link for the items you used to make the battery pack? The batteries were easy enough to find but I wasn’t able to find the actual case.
TheHarold,

Did you end up finding the part?

What part are you guys looking for? I thought the build was self explanatory. Grab 3 18650s, a 18650 enclosure, and wrap it with electrical tape.

There’s even an off-the-shelf battery bank that works well and features balancing, but it uses lower quality cells. Plug and play.

The cells are Samsung INR18650-35E. You can use any 18650s, but try to get a high capacity. I got them from Here.

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part are you guys looking for? I thought the build was self explanatory. Grab 3 18650s, a 18650 enclosure, and wrap it with electrical tape.

There’s even an off-the-shelf battery bank that works well and features balancing, but it uses lower quality cells. Plug and play.

The cells are Samsung INR18650-35E. You can use any 18650s, but try to get a high capacity. I got them from Here.
The only thing I could not find was a case with the appropriate connector. I will splice one in when I get around to finding one.

Gac800

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was looking for the power bank that Sicce USA had tested.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Batteries: any 18650. The batteries you suggest are flat top, but can be button. Any mAh, though the higher the better, such as 3500 mAh.

Case: Needs to be parallel, to produce (almost) 12V, correct? Need to make sure the case matches the batteries in terms of ability to work with flat-top vs button top batteries.

Plug: 5.5mm/2.5mm, center positive, correct?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back