Sick chocolate tang

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My baby chocolate tang has developed whitish spots for 4 days now. Today his fins seem to be thinner.
No signs of aggression.
He is eating very well and otherwise seems happy.
Any i pit is greatly appreciated. IMG_0932.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0934.mov
    60.5 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - that is really a baby!! Where/when did you get it

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - that is really a baby!! Where/when did you get it
thank you.

This is more details about my tank:
45 gallon all in one. Mixed reef.
Light AI hydra 32
Flow: 2 return pumps and 2 mp10s.
UV sterilizer 25 watts
Tunze skimmer
T 78
Sal 1.025-1.026
pH 8.0 - KH 8.5
Ca 410 - Mg 1400
NO 19 - PO 0.51 (the PO is usually 0.1, but this week O have been feeding a lot so that the tang eats as much as he can, and he is gaining weight despite his lesions)

I do 20% water change every Friday religiously.
I change the filter socks and clean the skimmer every 4th day.
I dose Red Sea kh calcium and mag as well as nopox daily.
I test the water weekly.
I feed three times per day. Mix of mysis abd brine enriched with omega and garlic. Three times per week I also feed tdo pellets and algae pellets and the tang has nori available to him daily.

I got the baby tang from a NY vendor. He has been with me for three weeks and 2 days.
(Before the tang police comes for me, I know he needs a bigger tank and that is already in the works. In less than 4 months he will be transferred to a 130G tank.)
His tank mates are longnose hawkfish, banggai cardinal, diamond goby, mandarin dragonet, baby royal gramma, yellow coris wrasse, blue damsel.
The clown pair was bothering him non stop so I moved them to a different tank on day 2 of him being here.
He did have ich on day 2and 3. And he cleared it by himself on day 4.

I will add a white light picture as soon as I get home!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you.

This is more details about my tank:
45 gallon all in one. Mixed reef.
Light AI hydra 32
Flow: 2 return pumps and 2 mp10s.
UV sterilizer 25 watts
Tunze skimmer
T 78
Sal 1.025-1.026
pH 8.0 - KH 8.5
Ca 410 - Mg 1400
NO 19 - PO 0.51 (the PO is usually 0.1, but this week O have been feeding a lot so that the tang eats as much as he can, and he is gaining weight despite his lesions)

I do 20% water change every Friday religiously.
I change the filter socks and clean the skimmer every 4th day.
I dose Red Sea kh calcium and mag as well as nopox daily.
I test the water weekly.
I feed three times per day. Mix of mysis abd brine enriched with omega and garlic. Three times per week I also feed tdo pellets and algae pellets and the tang has nori available to him daily.

I got the baby tang from a NY vendor. He has been with me for three weeks and 2 days.
(Before the tang police comes for me, I know he needs a bigger tank and that is already in the works. In less than 4 months he will be transferred to a 130G tank.)
His tank mates are longnose hawkfish, banggai cardinal, diamond goby, mandarin dragonet, baby royal gramma, yellow coris wrasse, blue damsel.
The clown pair was bothering him non stop so I moved them to a different tank on day 2 of him being here.
He did have ich on day 2and 3. And he cleared it by himself on day 4.

I will add a white light picture as soon as I get home!
Also, all other fishies are doing great. No signs of disease or anything else whatsoever.

The tank has been running since July 1st 2022.

The tang and the yellow wrasse came together. All other fishies have been with me for more than 8 months at least.
All the inverts look fine. I have cleaner shrimp, fore shrimp, emerald crab, snails and 2 hermits.

I have not done any treatment, except increase the food and add vitamins to the food.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you could post pictures under white light it would be really helpful!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice Tank!!!! So - are you talking about the white splotches in the picture of the tang?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics/video are a lot clearer. The fish looks good except for the skin spots and minor fin damage. My thought is that it has been getting attacked by a tankmate. The two top risks wou look s be the yellow wrasse or the blue damsel. Could this also be residual damage from the clowns?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I dont see much in the way of illness as i do aggression from others as fins and body appear to be nipped on. Next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be. Likely will be another tang

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pics/video are a lot clearer. The fish looks good except for the skin spots and minor fin damage. My thought is that it has been getting attacked by a tankmate. The two top risks wou look s be the yellow wrasse or the blue damsel. Could this also be residual damage from the clowns?

Jay
Mmm... I am home most of the time. And the tank is in front of me 95% of the time I am home. I have not seen any aggression.
The wrasse actually swims with the tang all day long. The tang follows her around and she doesn't seem to mind cause she lets him and the swim in front of the pumps and let go together... it is actually super cool to see them swim together.
And the damsel is quite shy. She has started to swim out of the corals more now that the the wrasse and tang are here.

The clowns torn his belly fin and that has healed quite nicely I think.
And they are gone to a different tank...

Do you think there could be aggression at night??

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see much in the way of illness as i do aggression from others as fins and body appear to be nipped on. Next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be. Likely will be another tang
I will do that for sure.
He is the only tang in the tank.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input!
I am quite relieved that you guys did not see any illness.
I am going to set up a camera right now to see if something bad happens when I am not in front of the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm... I am home most of the time. And the tank is in front of me 95% of the time I am home. I have not seen any aggression.
The wrasse actually swims with the tang all day long. The tang follows her around and she doesn't seem to mind cause she lets him and the swim in front of the pumps and let go together... it is actually super cool to see them swim together.
And the damsel is quite shy. She has started to swim out of the corals more now that the the wrasse and tang are here.

The clowns torn his belly fin and that has healed quite nicely I think.
And they are gone to a different tank...

Do you think there could be aggression at night??

Aggression at night is unlikely. More likely is that the fish would be aggressive when you leave the room. However, with you near that tank for so much of the day, I would rule it out then.....

Jay

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression at night is unlikely. More likely is that the fish would be aggressive when you leave the room. However, with you near that tank for so much of the day, I would rule it out then.....

Jay
Thank you.
I ordered a camera online and is coming today. So I can monitor things without me interfering...

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got the camera. Fed the fish and walked away. No aggression whatsoever.

The tang continues to have the white splotches, but they are no longer growing. The torn fins are still there but also no longer growing.
He keeps eating like a piggy and compared to his first day, he has gain a lot of weight.

So hopefully whatever this was will start to get better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back