Sick Clown?

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black and white clown fish that I discovered swimming on its side along the substrate. When I would try to approach him he would dart away only to flip onto his side again and swim erotically. I captured him in a net and he appeared to be swimming in barrel rolls so I scooped him out into a clean container with some aquarium water. He died seconds later and then went very pale...

16184404947751976247933147813867.jpg

I did notice a few days ago that this guy wasn't too interested in eating but I figured it was part of the submissive pairing behavior as there is another clown in the tank with him that is slightly larger. The other fish does not pick on him and eats well.
I did notice this little guy hosting around my torches the other night.
When I saw him on his side, his belly appeared paler than normal and his eyes wide but, to be fair, I didn't notice those much before as he'd be swimming around upright...

Any idea what could have happened? Should I be worried for the other fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any heavy breathing, loss of appetitie, skin blemishes, milky appearance or flashing through the tank ?
Sorry for loss- was a pretty clown

OP
OP
KeMiKiLL

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any heavy breathing, loss of appetitie, skin blemishes, milky appearance or flashing through the tank ?
Sorry for loss- was a pretty clown
Yes. I noticed very little to no eating for the last few days. I didnt notice any heavy breathing until I found him on his side. No darting, blemishes, or od colouration until the moment he died when he went very pale suddenly. :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes. I noticed very little to no eating for the last few days. I didnt notice any heavy breathing until I found him on his side. No darting, blemishes, or od colouration until the moment he died when he went very pale suddenly. :(
Possibly and POSSIBLY, the beginning stages of brooklynella or even flukes

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what my nasso did had him 10 days 8th day stopped eating 9th would not come out of the rocks 10th day on his side at the bottom.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any airborne chemicals? Bug sprays, carpet cleaning, aerosol sprays etc. Our protein skimmers take in everything and do a good job mixing the air and water. You know you can significantly increase your Ph by running an air line from outside, indoors to your skimmer. You can go from 7.9 to 8.3 overnight. A friend just lost 2 clowns, one of which they had for 7 years. The only thing we could conclude was that they had there carpet cleaned and sprayed air freshener in the room afterwards. This cleaning took place one day before their two fish died.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is truly heartbreaking when we lose any fish. I have 2 Picasso clowns, one was a small juvenile. They were happy until I purchased 2 Mocha Storms juveniles. Within a week, the juvenile Picasso was shund by the other three. I didn't stay Tiny Tim nearly three weeks, although he would come out of hiding, dart for food yet not eat. Couple of days ago, I noticed he would sparingly eat at the bottom away from the otherts. Today, he was right in the mix, eating with everyone. I never thought he would make it, but I'm happy as a first-time father, that he overcame is stress

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back