OP
OP
ilokee16

ilokee16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white poop is definitely a sign of internal worms. Since he’s eating I’d suggest you medicate his food using the info here: scroll to the green text.

for the ammonia I would buy bottled bacteria: fritz turbo start, dr time one and only or bio spira.

the face: I can’t tell. Could be brook or an infection. Is there any other livestock in the tank besides the clowns?
There are 2 bumblebee snails and 2 blue legged hermits, all added at the same time

OP
OP
ilokee16

ilokee16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His mouth looks worse and he seems to have a new white spot on his tail
EA6418A9-8D80-4C7E-8F09-37F94334BB06.jpeg
A498E8CD-2334-4E7C-B0B4-74020736962C.jpeg
164FE204-BA77-46B1-ACB4-FE225F38121B.jpeg

OP
OP
ilokee16

ilokee16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white poop is definitely a sign of internal worms. Since he’s eating I’d suggest you medicate his food using the info here: scroll to the green text.

for the ammonia I would buy bottled bacteria: fritz turbo start, dr time one and only or bio spira.

the face: I can’t tell. Could be brook or an infection. Is there any other livestock in the tank besides the clowns?
If the FW dip did nothing, should i dismiss brook as a possibility?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang this is frustrating to have this much work put into something because of a stupid LFS. Don’t go back there for any information. Do your own research online before buying from there.

good luck, sorry your clowns are struggling. My platinum is in hiding because his wife turned on him, he looks worse than yours.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FW dip offers temporary relief and nothing else. Not sure why many are recommending it as it imposes a level of stress on the fish.
What you are seeing are kidney-bean shaped microscopic parasites covered in cilia which is a product of brooklynella. Thereafter, the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.
I believe Jay made mention and you will need to treat with Formalin which has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases. My preference is either API General Cure or Ruby Rally reef with General cure more effective. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.

OP
OP
ilokee16

ilokee16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip offers temporary relief and nothing else. Not sure why many are recommending it as it imposes a level of stress on the fish.
What you are seeing are kidney-bean shaped microscopic parasites covered in cilia which is a product of brooklynella. Thereafter, the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise, such as redness and fin rot.
I believe Jay made mention and you will need to treat with Formalin which has been found to be an effective treatment for Brooklynella as well as other parasitic diseases. My preference is either API General Cure or Ruby Rally reef with General cure more effective. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
How quickly is the brook going to kill the fish? It’s been 3 days and he hasn’t developed any of the symptoms listed above, the only thing visible is the lesion on his face and the white spot on his tail.
Breathing is normal and he’s swimming and eating as if nothing has happened but nothing came off of his face when i FW dipped him and all stores are closed until tomorrow so I won’t be able to get any meds today :(

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What factors dictate wether you can use tap water safely? I live in central america (Panama)

I don’t have a RODI system and we’re under complete lockdown for a week or so, which means I can’t buy water
How hard your tap water is, chloramines is typically used in tap water which are not good for fish. You can use conditioner for this but also keep in mind silicates are in tap water which fuel diatoms.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How quickly is the brook going to kill the fish? It’s been 3 days and he hasn’t developed any of the symptoms listed above, the only thing visible is the lesion on his face and the white spot on his tail.
Breathing is normal and he’s swimming and eating as if nothing has happened but nothing came off of his face when i FW dipped him and all stores are closed until tomorrow so I won’t be able to get any meds today :(
With what you described- he is not that far infected. Once infected can be several days to several weeks. As i mentioned can also be bacterial. This is where water quality and diet play a role

OP
OP
ilokee16

ilokee16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your support and insight on what might have been wrong with Maxie.
He’s fine now, thankfully! It was probably something bacterial, I’m treating the tank with Seachem’s neoplex and it has since cleared completely :)

MarsWulf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 bumblebee snails and 2 blue legged hermits, all added at the same time
Bumblebee snails are carnivorous snails... They do not eat algea. They need pods etc to survive.

I strongly suggest purchasing an RODI... Its a necessity with Marine Fish.

I would treat the fish with Prazipro ASAP. Water can go bad really fast... And you need to add RODI to top off the tank to maintain salinity.

If you are topping off with tap water - thats just gonna kill your fish.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White clowns are hard to diagnose. In a few pics I could see excessive mucus and what appears to be Brooklynella.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back