Sick clownfish please help

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this trio yesterday night. Female clown is sick. She has been breathing faster than normal since I got her but was hoping it was due to stress. But she finally moved away from the anemone when I fed them and noticed her belly is sunken in she did not eat any idea what might be going on and how to treat
@FishGuy
@ReefSquad
#reefsquad

E9148010-6A15-45BD-A27E-8A7D723ADAD7.jpeg

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this trio yesterday night. Female clown is sick. She has been breathing faster than normal since I got her but was hoping it was due to stress. But she finally moved away from the anemone when I fed them and noticed her belly is sunken in she did not eat any idea what might be going on and how to treat
@FishGuy
@ReefSquad
#reefsquad

E9148010-6A15-45BD-A27E-8A7D723ADAD7.jpeg
Can you snap a pic? I would assume they are just acclimating. Did you drip acclimate or just temp? What are your parameters- specifically ammonia, nitrite, and salinity/PH

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes post params and video of breathing for docs,see any spots ?inflamed gills?

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you snap a pic? I would assume they are just acclimating. Did you drip acclimate or just temp? What are your parameters- specifically ammonia, nitrite, and salinity/PH
The stomach of the female clown is very sunken in she has only moved away from the anemone once

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimated with small cups of water for 1 1/2 hours with house heater set to 78 degrees picked up from LFS five min from apartment

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
will be here when you get back

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0 nitrate 15 ph 8.4 salinity 1.026 one year old reef with 10-15 year old rock

B5DE87AB-977F-46FC-8737-D0E08718A4EB.jpeg EF2B7C9C-4FE8-4311-955F-36330345282E.jpeg 458E806C-F011-46CF-8B01-754A30930032.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity of the dealer's tank? When I hear that a new fish has a sunken belly the day after being acquired, that to me only means one of two things - it was skinny when you purchased it, or during acclimation, there was a rise in salinity that caused the fish to dehydrate. I just cannot think of any other possible reason for a fish to develop a sunken belly in just 18 hours or so....

Nice corals though~!

Jay

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the salinity/specific gravity of the dealer's tank? When I hear that a new fish has a sunken belly the day after being acquired, that to me only means one of two things - it was skinny when you purchased it, or during acclimation, there was a rise in salinity that caused the fish to dehydrate. I just cannot think of any other possible reason for a fish to develop a sunken belly in just 18 hours or so....

Nice corals though~!

Jay
Thank you so much I keep my tank at 1.026 not sure what they keep their salinity at but have bought a few fish from them. I am not sure if it’s belly was sunken in at the fish store since they were so close to the anemone.

If it is the dehydration thing will the fish die or will it recover and do I need to do anything to help it?

If the belly was sunken in at the store what does that mean and how to I proceed or treat?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was dehydration, the male should have been affected to some degree of it came from the same tank at the dealers.
if the clown had a pinched belly when you got it, I would see what the LFS has to say.
If it is dehydration, that should resolve or cause the fish to die over the next 24 hours.
Jay

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was dehydration, the male should have been affected to some degree of it came from the same tank at the dealers.
if the clown had a pinched belly when you got it, I would see what the LFS has to say.
If it is dehydration, that should resolve or cause the fish to die over the next 24 hours.
Jay
Thank you. What you are saying about dehydration makes sense after I thought about it and remembered a topic from biology. I thought I acclimated long enough was over an hour but I did not drip acclimate but added tank water about every 15 mins or so but maybe it was too much or too fast. Hard lesson if so

675A14E7-0AD4-48C9-BD08-1A13239E6EC3.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be totally off the mark here. If the dealer's tanks were 1.022 or higher, then that isn't the issue, the fish would have acclimated just fine. Some dealers hold their fish at 1.020 or lower, and it is those cases, when moved to a full strength reef tank, where this problem arises. It is best then, to move the fish to a tank of intermediate salinity for a few days and then move it on....

Jay

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be totally off the mark here. If the dealer's tanks were 1.022 or higher, then that isn't the issue, the fish would have acclimated just fine. Some dealers hold their fish at 1.020 or lower, and it is those cases, when moved to a full strength reef tank, where this problem arises. It is best then, to move the fish to a tank of intermediate salinity for a few days and then move it on....

Jay
Thank you I will definitely remember that. Both fish were in the same tank with other fish and coral. I did notice she was breathing heavier than the male at the store but my big head was right over them and I could tell that they were frightened but they looked healthy from what I could see and I just thought that maybe she was scared but I am not certain

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I will definitely remember that. Both fish were in the same tank with other fish and coral. I did notice she was breathing heavier than the male at the store but my big head was right over them and I could tell that they were frightened but they looked healthy from what I could see and I just thought that maybe she was scared but I am not certain
Ah, so that’s key - if the dealers had corals, it wasn’t an acclimation issue. Sorry to have taken you down a dead end, not sure what else it could be. It does really seem that you inherited a problem with the fish from before you got it. Do you have a treatment tank available?
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back