Sick fish or nipped fin

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night one of my saltwater mollies was died. The only notable thing I seen was her rear fins were just about gone and her eyes were hazed but she was lily dead all day. I didn’t not See anything in the days before.

This morning I noticed another at the surface and her rear fins were very ratty. She was fine last night as far as I remember. She is in the hospital tank now and I’m going to watch the other fish in the DT.

Does this look like a disease or is something eating them.

Pleas note I had another molly in QT with a tumor but she is still in there and getting fat.

f2e778e8c63fbe6b82889139ee874581.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was there any aggression between the fish?

If not, then it’s possibly a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was there any aggression between the fish?

If not, then it’s possibly a bacterial infection.
My clowns are being a bit nippy lately and have chased them. Normally they all seem to get along. They have been in the DT for over a month (they were in QT prior to that as well). For the most part they got along with the other fish.

The only symptoms I have seen are stress and exhaustion really. In the QT at first his fins were tight against his side and he sat on the bottom of the tank. After a few hours he is eating , swimming doing molly things (abit less than normal but doing them). the only symptom I could see on the one who died was he appeared sluggish and tired the night before. I had planned on moving him to the hospital tank today.

There are no other signs of illness I can see. I just want to make sure it is not related to another molly death I had a month ago and the one last night. I sure would hate to see all my fish drop out one by one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video of all the fish just a week ago. you can see the male with the large lyretail fins near the bottom of the tank. the female is also in the video. I don't know if it is useful.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish can be incredibly mean. They act like cavemen at times. There was a member who posted a few months back about his clown leaping out of the water and bit him on the eyeball while he was leaning over the tank doing some cleaning. Yikes! Those little dudes can be terrorists. Often after the lights have dimmed or dimming on a tank.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you guys think it is likely nipped Finns ? I’m leaning that way as well since the fins are clean without any fuzzy ends.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 66 51.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back