terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My .02.

Do you have LR that is seasoned that you can make a triangle for its foot to sit in? Try protecting the foot so it attaches well, and is protected, while still giving the disk high flow for purging. They put up with high flow well, but try to protect the foot from the blast.
They’re all different and finding what they want can be tough. Maybe try raising your lights a foot? How I would treat it without meds is different than with meds. I’ve found high light with meds can be pretty harsh on them, and that guy to me, looks like it’s squinting from too much light. It’s trial and error sometimes, I increase lights until they withdraw, then back off. Takes time to figure out.

It’s like a balance, every little thing you can do to help may tip it in success. I use reef crystals. I don’t think the brand is too important as long as parameters are ok, and it’s consistent every 24 hours when you change it, it’s the same “reset” each time. I hope you can get it to stabilize.
Shot from 32 seconds ago.

First morning water is not cloudy after night of cipro. alright. doing WC now. Also he stopped expelling so much.

his foot still on the egg crate, but I gave him some other options now as well if he ever detaches it.

yes I can raise the light a foot literally.... lol

image.jpg image.jpg

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely still fighting a bacterial infection. The lines/rows of tentacles are pretty much a 99% confirmation to me. Possible that tap water had something in it that the nem didn't like, but I would doubt that's your main culprit. The zoo/food/bacteria (poo pellets) are what start to rot in the anemone's oral cavity - usually this bacteria starts to get off balance with the 10-12 hours of stagnant water from shipping.

All of the mouth eversion and inflating/deflating is a sign it's still trying to clear this material out - so I like Taylor's suggestion of flushing it. That's essentially what the anemone is trying to do. Usually Cipro in the water will produce a cue that the water is "good" and often gigs will inflate once they sense the antibiotic to take new water in.

To be honest, I don't love the last picture, I'd put your odds at 50/50 with how long you've been rehabbing. Regardless, you are doing the right things. IME, once they have been fighting a bacteria infection for a week or so there's a decent chance the infection has done damage they don't come back from. Regardless, you are on the right path. Other than water changes and re-dosing the Cipro before lights out don't change anything. Fiddling with temp, light, not helpful at this stage. You're doing well - many of us have been right where you are ;)

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely still fighting a bacterial infection. The lines/rows of tentacles are pretty much a 99% confirmation to me. Possible that tap water had something in it that the nem didn't like, but I would doubt that's your main culprit. The zoo/food/bacteria (poo pellets) are what start to rot in the anemone's oral cavity - usually this bacteria starts to get off balance with the 10-12 hours of stagnant water from shipping.

All of the mouth eversion and inflating/deflating is a sign it's still trying to clear this material out - so I like Taylor's suggestion of flushing it. That's essentially what the anemone is trying to do. Usually Cipro in the water will produce a cue that the water is "good" and often gigs will inflate once they sense the antibiotic to take new water in.

To be honest, I don't love the last picture, I'd put your odds at 50/50 with how long you've been rehabbing. Regardless, you are doing the right things. IME, once they have been fighting a bacteria infection for a week or so there's a decent chance the infection has done damage they don't come back from. Regardless, you are on the right path. Other than water changes and re-dosing the Cipro before lights out don't change anything. Fiddling with temp, light, not helpful at this stage. You're doing well - many of us have been right where you are ;)
This was a very concise and helpful response thank you.

Yeah honestly he's a strange nem too.

He would hide from light in all of my tanks.... and he still seems to be trying to....

I have the light 3 feet above the water now, and it's this light

So it's not like it's some insane bright coral light....

possibly he as a Nem has lived most of his life in the shadows.......

I can't reduce the light anymore without just turning it off.... so it'll have to be.

Him now:

IMG_0313.jpeg

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a very concise and helpful response thank you.

Yeah honestly he's a strange nem too.

He would hide from light in all of my tanks.... and he still seems to be trying to....

I have the light 3 feet above the water now, and it's this light

So it's not like it's some insane bright coral light....

possibly he as a Nem has lived most of his life in the shadows.......

I can't reduce the light anymore without just turning it off.... so it'll have to be.

Him now:

IMG_0313.jpeg

Light is really a non-factor here. Light (unsure if it's UV only, would have to check) does break down antibiotics but some sugars from the zoo in the anemone would only help sustain the nem. When I am treating sick gigs, I am using 4 (admittedly very old) T5 bulbs about 4" above the tank from an old standby fixture. I don't personally feel gigs can be given too much light..... but just pick a height and stick with it.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment done and IMO, he's cured of the disease, and now just needs to get back to full health.

However in doing a lot more research over the last week, I'm still undecided what to do with him long term (If I'm going to keep him or re-home him)

Ultimately I'd like to set up a carpet and clown harem tank.

But I'm not looking to spend that money right now after investing so much in my 45.

So..... I'm at a crossroads. But I'll figure it out :)

At least we saved him! Thank you everyone for all your help! I appreciate it and it was great to be able to go through this safely with some help on this site.

Appreciate everyone.

mouth closed fully inflated growing back tentacles. No meds for 48 hours. This is in an almost direct 600GPH flow so nice muscle control again as well. He's been inflated like this for the whole time. Didn't even deflate for lights out.

His tenticles also started to elongate, not sure if that has any significance.

C5A0F1F1-5E8F-4830-807A-5A1324013A6F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so 100% tap and prime is no good. The stuff that prime does not remove worries me. Nems I have rescued in the past put in tap water tanks, all needed treatment in cipro. Somethings just throw bacteria all out of whack and add bacteria the nems do not need.

Is it possible for you to setup a small tank with hob filter, heater and a light?

Best case is to get into clean RODI based sw matched to temp, salinity and alk if you can. Alk, is not as big of a deal, as that is not as bad as the first 2 being off. Closer is better though for it.

Next step would be to treat with cipro, but fresh clean water should by some time.

Chewy has cipro available with no prescription and it is labeled as fish meds.
Special thanks to you specifically Steve, you spotted it first and gave me step by step detailed route. Appreciate you.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treatment done and IMO, he's cured of the disease, and now just needs to get back to full health.

However in doing a lot more research over the last week, I'm still undecided what to do with him long term (If I'm going to keep him or re-home him)

Ultimately I'd like to set up a carpet and clown harem tank.

But I'm not looking to spend that money right now after investing so much in my 45.

So..... I'm at a crossroads. But I'll figure it out :)

At least we saved him! Thank you everyone for all your help! I appreciate it and it was great to be able to go through this safely with some help on this site.

Appreciate everyone.

mouth closed fully inflated growing back tentacles. No meds for 48 hours. This is in an almost direct 600GPH flow so nice muscle control again as well. He's been inflated like this for the whole time. Didn't even deflate for lights out.

C5A0F1F1-5E8F-4830-807A-5A1324013A6F.jpeg
Awesome!!!!!!!!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Special thanks to you specifically Steve, you spotted it first and gave me step by step detailed route. Appreciate you.
Not a problem. Even though at first glance on my phone I called it a haddoni lol. Just glad the nem is doing well.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad your anemone did well with treatment. He may not need to have transplant. It looks like the tentacles are not all bleached, but it is hard to tell under blue light.
IMO, I prefer Gigantea over Haddon. You can get Gigantea to host clowns much better, and they look better. Harem of clowns need to be in a large Gigantea, or multiple Gigantea. That would be perfect. BTW Gigantea are natural hosts of Ocellaris and Percula, but not Haddoni.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was really tired of making and switching water so often......

So I decided to keep him in a specific spot in DT For now.

Lucky for me he agreed and planted his foot ever so nicely in the exact crevice I wanted him too. Shut off returns and flow for 20 minutes as this is a pretty high flow spot.

I think the light is a bit bright for him, he seems to be "winking", I've got my Hydra 32 blasting on this tank. but He seems to be acclimating to it slowly.

I'm of the mind to let it just take it's course unless someone knows a easy quick way to provide a little bit of shade without sticking my hand back in the tank.

Yesterday on addition
IMG_0387.jpeg

Today
IMG_0419.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back